Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k seized engine

Jpig · 2021-11-16 06:00

Hi all. I just Acquired a 1987,88,89 case 580k backhoe. Got it for next to nothing. Gentleman died and wife wanted it out of there. Been sitting for about 8 years. Wife thought there may be an electrical problem. Started checking it out and seem the engine is froze up. I’ve never used a case backhoe before. From what I can gather it has an electrical clutch ? Maybe. My question is, is there anything else, say the transmission, that could be causing the engine to not being unable to turn over? Serial #jjc 001284 or close to that. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks (my first post)

Replies2
  1. #1Willie B2021-11-16 07:18

    You've got some work ahead of you to figure out the problem. Starter could be dead, Starter drive could be jammed in the flywheel gear. Hydraulic pump might be stuck. These machines power the four speed transmission through a torque converter. I believe it should turn over at low speed OK. Most likely is pistons are stuck in their bores. I've always used Mystery Oil. It may be hard to find. Any light oil should suffice. Pull the injectors & squirt some in all cylinders. Give a good soak over a week & squirt more in. You may have some disassembly to get to the crank to turn it with a wrench.

  2. #2Jpig2021-11-16 07:59

    Thank you