Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K opinion’s

NCman ยท 2021-11-15 14:29

Looking at buying a 580K. It has 2400hrs Hoe has rotating jawbone bucket Enclosed, Heat, all cylinders rebuilt, most hoses new. Ex DOT machine.Newer tires,new brake lines. Owner says very good brakes, smooth hydraulic's, no leaks... $15,000 Delivered I've read that many prefer a series.#1 but I believe the right console shifter makes this a series #2? So, is this a good deal in this day and age? Any reasons to stay away from a series 2 other than brakes being a costly repair? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1NCman2021-11-15 14:32

    Pics

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-11-15 14:36

    Give that cast boom a very through inspection for cracks.

  3. #3NCman2021-11-15 16:38

    Ok, thanks. Will do. Is the price of 15k reasonable? Any thoughts on the rotating jaw bucket? I have a 1200' driveway that needs cleaning often. Seems like it would be a help as far as ditching...

  4. #4Delmer2021-11-15 17:16

    That's like $1,500 in precovid prices, snap it up before it's gone. It looks recently pressure washed, suspicious, but run it and operate it ten minutes, look for leaks. Check the backhoe for slop, mostly side to side extended all the way out, it will wiggle a little bit, but it shouldn't bounce back and forth a foot or more. Extremely low hours for something that old, suspicious, but also a very specialized bucket, never seen one on a backhoe, usually you see those on wheeled excavators that the hwy dept has, or on mid sized European excavators. If the engine blowby looks decent, the pedals and cab look like the hours are genuine, then it's a good deal with prices these days, IMHO.

  5. #5Steve Favia2021-11-15 17:58

    580k with shifter on the console is a series three on the floor is a series one.

  6. #6NCman2021-11-15 18:17

    Thanks for the info. I did have a cat 416 with a mechanical thumb and although handy... it was a pain. This rotating bucket looks like it would serve as a bucket & thumb. Don't know if rotating would help cleaning ditches...

  7. #7JBrady2021-11-16 11:57

    I could have some fun with that bucket contraption! I would say that is a good price if everything mentioned above checks out. The biggest drawback I see to it is it is 2WD. That'd be a deal killer for me, but may be fine for you.

  8. #8NCman2021-11-16 19:04

    Thanks for the advice. I think I will go take a.look at it just to try the bucket. 4x4 would be nice but I can manage with 2x and new tires. Also has a rear differential lock.