Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K shuttle shift

lscearse ยท 2015-10-10 09:15

I'm new to the forum and to owning heavy equipment. I recently bought a older model (mid 80's) Case 580K backhoe. I'm having trouble out of what I believe is the shuttle shift. The backhoe operates fine in forward and reverse initially then all the sudden while driving forward seems to go into neutral. It seems as though it want to pull forward but doesn't have any power. You can shift back into reverse and it works fine. I don't believe it's the transmission because of when it does work at first it has very good power and will spin both tires with ease.

Replies15
  1. #1bob_002015-10-10 23:08

    welcom to the forum depen witch verstion of the 580k you get but i am pertty sure you have a phase one machine witch have a shifter on the side but tru the floor and a transmition dipstick near the starter those have a borg warner power shuttle that have a common failure with the belvil spring in the clutch pack i rebuild mine in 14 hours for a frist time rookie working outside in winter its not too bad of a job you need to get the shop manuel witch i can send you by e-mail if you want but before taking evrything appart start by checking fluid on the dipstick near the starter if i recall it need to be checked at operating temp with the machine on nutral and at idle

  2. #2workshoprat922015-10-11 08:36

    Does the K have the same transmission set up like a super K? Is the torque converter mounted on the engine and the shuttle clutch box on the transaxle with a drive shaft in between them?

  3. #3melben2015-10-11 09:58

    C-D n early Ks used the Borg shuttle, a self contained unit, Later the Case transaxle, which incorporated the shuttle into the rear end with a simple housing on the bell housing containing the system pump for the shuttle, Earlier had shifter coming through the floor, and the level was checked at the starter where the fill and dipstick is located Fluid level can be more accurately checked with the engine idling, forward or reverse shuttle, machine secured so it cannot move of course, this method freezes the gear train and splash is stopped so accurate readings are assured. Later units oil level was checked behind the seat under a floor mat flap and a pop out plug by the control tower.

  4. #4workshoprat922015-10-11 10:51

    Thats to bad. there is no way to look at drive shaft then and determine if it is in the shuttle clutches or the torque converter.

  5. #5lscearse2015-10-13 07:52

    I believe the backhoe I have is a Gen 1 as well. It has the forward reverse shifter on the left of the steering column and a 4 speed in the right side floor. I have checked the fluid and have actually changed it as well. i'm planning on pulling the shuttle out and trying a rebuild. If you could send me a copy of the shop manual that would be awesome. [email protected]

  6. #6bob_002015-10-19 19:27

    check your e-mail i send you the download link

  7. #712edge2018-07-14 13:22

    At this time I have the same problem with my 580k backhoe. Start working well after 4 hours of continuous work, it is suddenly neutralized and changed to the reverse and works well. Could you tell me how they solved it?

  8. #8Bertrrr2018-07-16 06:42

    My old 580B slips out of gear both forward and reverse, if I hold tension on the shifter it does fine, I am assuming this is a linkage problem ( worn out ) not sure it's worth going into at this point though , I'd like to see a shop manual as well, thanks

  9. #9Tinkerer2018-07-16 07:28

    Bert ; you can download the 580B service manual here. ----> http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/... MANUAL/Case 580CK Model B Service Manual.pdf

  10. #10Bertrrr2018-07-17 07:29

    thanks a bunch

  11. #11lscearse2018-12-12 05:14

    I ended up rebuilding the shuttle transmission. I had the tourqe converter sent off for a rebuild as well. The forward clutch pack was toast.

  12. #12Tinkerer2018-12-12 09:09

    Thanks for coming back and posting the outcome !

  13. #13Mears12025-04-24 14:15

    Do you by chance have a service manual for a Case 580 Super K?

  14. #14westerner2025-04-25 22:02

    I do. Bought it new when we bought the hoe in 1999. Factory parts and service manuals in hardcopy. Kept the manual, but sold the machine. Want it? Pay the shipping and it's yours.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2025-04-26 08:17

    Very nice of you.