I bought a 580K last year with the goal of cleaning brush off of 80 acres I own. After spending a Fall and summer tearing up wires, hydraulic hoses and fuel lines I have decided that no matter how careful I am I will have broken saplings jam up under the frame and cause damage. So, I am going to build a skid plate under my hoe to stop the carnage. I have two questions. First, has anybody done this and if so can you give me pointers or even plans or photos. Secondly there are what appear to be brackets attached to the bottom of the frame under the hydraulic and fuel tanks. These seem to be perfect for attaching a skid plate to but I want to make certain I am not going to tear up my tanks by these brackets pulling lose. Does anybody know what these brackets are?
They make a skid plate for them, that you can weld more plate to if you wanted. You may find one in a tractor bone yard with the bolts off a 4wd machine. The factory guard protects the 4wd drive shaft mostly and you can see it on the casece parts lookup on the web. It needs to fit tight so your not pulling those ears in or out when tightening.
thanks sheepfoot I will check it out.