Hello, Is it difficult to change the starter motor brushes on a Case 580K Cummins motor. Plenty of battery but turning very slowly, Thanks.
Clean all the cable connections especially, the ground to frame before replacing the starter.
That is a very reasonable suggestion, I should have thought of it myself, age getting the better of me, I will check it out and come back to you, thankyou.
Have removed, checked and cleaned the mounting points and terminals of the earth cables between battery and chassis and chassis and engine, no change, still only just turns. Have now removed the starter but frankly the brushes look hardly worn, though I have had the digger for 14 years it has had little use, I suspect that the previous owner had not long changed the starter or brushes. Now I am stripping it down and trying to get everything clean, see what happens when it is back in situ.
Probably time for a new battery.
Battery Varta (I buy them all the time, great batteries) 110AH only 18 months old (was showing 12.6v). Got the starter to pieces, cleaned up the commutator, sprayed contact cleaner, removed excess, no sign of heat in any of the copper windings, the solenoid is throwing as it should, put a little grease in the end bearing, put it back together, no change. Not sure what I might try next. New starter is more than I can pay at the moment, but it really does look fine inside.
You need a high cca rating, not necessarily amp/hrs. Amp hrs is reserve capacity. If the battery is good, maybe it is too small. Should be either a group 31 or maybe 2 group 24’s in parallel. 2 group 31’s in parallel should also fit. Group 24’s will be approximately 450 to 650 cca. Group 31’s will be approximately 800 to 1100 cca
I do not know what the cca rating is but it is a very big battery, difficult to get it into the battery slot, I have used this size battery in the digger for 14 years with no previous issues. There must be a bad connection somewhere that I have not been able to find.
920 cca
You will find it. is it possible your hydraulics are dragging the motor down. Try operating one of the hydraulic functions while turning over and see if there is a change.
Or internal corrosion inside a cable
Not looking good. Tried hydraulics while turning starter. Ran good quality booster cables direct from battery to starter to overcome possible bad connections. No change, even when battery was connected to my running Case tractor, no change. I am wondering if the solenoid may not be transferring all the power to the motor, it is definitely throwing the starter cog out, but would it be able to do that and not transfer enough power to the motor? Is it possible to buy just the solenoid if so. Such a shame because in 14 years it has always started on the button.
Yes, you usually can just replace the bendix parts. I imagine that starter has been used in a few million thingys. I have had this happen when you over tourqe the main power stud in the solenoid and have a weak connection.
Good Grief !!! After 14 years it is time to replace it. You will fix one thing on it and before you know it something else is goona happen to it.
Well, this knackered old English man in France, thanks all of the members for their valuable support. Finally, and so often is the case, the fault was very small, and now the digger starts as it used to, vrooom!! The fault was the trigger wire connection to the solenoid. It seemed well fixed when I pulled at it to begin with but I think that there should be a special connection which was not present and there was insufficient area of connection from the wire to the solenoid to completely energise the solenoid. I have never removed the starter before. I bought a 9.5mm female spade connector, had to open it out slightly, but when pushed on hard to the male connection it is giving an excellent connection and it seems very resistant to coming off, even due to vibration. Thank you again. Regards, Michael
My Dad in his infinite wisdom said, "Nothing is ever easy", he may have had a point. Decided to do a little work with the digger today. Started fine but as soon as it was put in gear the warning siren that sounds when the ignition is turned on, which normally stops as soon as the engine starts turned on, very noisy and loud. I am lost. Why would that siren turn on? is there a way of turning it off or is it a sign that something else is wrong with the digger?
Emergency brake on?
The handbrake has never worked so I have always had to drop the front bucket or rear legs to brake, therefore have not touched the handbrake lever, however I will have a look and see if it has been accidentally moved, maybe pulling it up and down hard a few times might sort it, but that seems a reasonable suggestion and I will see if I can find the contact point which would normally show the brake is on. Thankyou for that.
I started the digger and in gear the siren turned on. The handbrake lever was seized in the position it has been in for 14 years. I pulled and pushed for some time without gaining any movement, finally I knocked it down with a heavy weight for maybe half an inch and the alarm turned off. Very odd, something must have happened beneath where the alarm contacts must be fitted. Yet again the Heavy Equipment Forums members have been of great help. Thank you!
Maybe you could keep worrying it and get your parking brake back?