Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k weak brakes

Steve111 ยท 2019-06-25 20:32

Hello, I just bought a case 580k with around 5500 hours on it. Pretty solid machine, has some leaks but not too bad. My main concern is that when I'm in 1st gear I have to hit the brakes super hard to stop and it still doesn't stop very well. I have the older model I believe not the phase 3. Any ideas where to start? Machine was sitting for many years. Stop fine when I put it in neutral

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632019-06-25 20:38

    To me it sounds like your engine speed/idle may be to high? Most of the backhoes I have seen will pull through the brakes in first gear with enough engine speed/torque......or am I reading this wrong.?

  2. #2Steve1112019-06-25 20:39

    I am new to backhoes. I know minimal about it. You think it's probably normal then?

  3. #3Steve1112019-06-25 20:41

    Should I keep the idle speed all the way down when driving?

  4. #4Steve1112019-06-25 20:47

    I just tried it with idle speed all the way down. Worked fine. That was easy I guess. Thank you!

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-06-25 22:43

    Welcome to HEF Steve ! It'e kinda like driving a truck. You cannot have your foot on the accelerator in first gear and put the other foot the brake pedal and expect to stop.