Help please! After I paid the $1430 for new tires I went to drive it to my son’s house. 3 miles away. I made it about 2 blocks. Now it won’t move. Checked the torque converter fluid and it was a little low. Added some and it seemed to work. It works and then it won’t. It has gotten me confused. It will move when it wants to, and then not after you stop. For whatever reason what I believe is 3rd gear works best. I assume it is a standard gear pattern. Right now it won’t do a thing. Does not seem to make any difference if the trans lock is all the way down or not. Help please! 580 K phase 1 serial number 19510? From memory Could it be the electric switch on the shifter ? I don’t understand why it works and then won’t.
It could be the button I suppose. But that button goes to a forward/reverse disconnect switch on the side of the shuttle (sorta looks like a little can). Can’t remember the cost but I had to change mine, they just twist on & off. Don’t remember it being expensive. Yes it has a standard gear pattern also.
Well that's what I am thinking so far. It was working before I taped up the broken switch - all of a sudden it works then don't then works again with no warning. I will try and check this out this morning. Thanks Brandon!
I’m not a 100% sure how the switch works. I don’t know if when you push the button it applies power or if it breaks the circuit, but either way you more than likely could do away with the switch. If it applies power just twist the wires together, if it breaks the circuit just pull them apart & tape everything up & just tape your handle up like it is now. If you need the disconnect switch the machine should have another on the bucket lever, I know mine does.
First off which 580K do you have? Does the four speed shifter come up out of the floor or is it in the right hand console?
I think phase 1 they all come through the floor, I could very well be wrong. I know mine is phase 1 with the 4 speed in the floor.
I know the phase ones came through the floor and the phase threes were in the console, that's why I'm asking. The declutch is totally different on each machine.
I’m assuming his comes through the floor, he didn’t say where the shifter was but he said it was a phase 1 machine.
Is this a 4x4 machine?
@Joe Friday if you disconnect the wires at the transmission cut out (looks like a drink can on the side of the power shuttle LHS) it will allow you to drive till you figure which switch is a fault. If the transmission cut-out is actually the fault that is..... If it is attempting to drive in third, it should drive in first or second. You have checked the oil level in the shuttle with the engine idling???
Great News! It was the Cut out switch. I pulled the rubber cover off and the switch was sticking. It would tickle the solenoid causing the inconsistent results. All is well now. - Actually I suppose that I should replace this switch at some point. It looks to be slightly larger in diameter than the one for the bucket. Next I will start the front right King Pin job... It was a phase # 1 with the shifter on the floor.
Spray some WD-40 on button that should keep it from sticking. Glad you got it going. Good luck on the kingpin.
Actually not that lucky. Even after spraying it down and working the switch it still sticks more often than not. Any one know where to get a new switch????
The part number is D141486 you can look it up on line.
Thanks!!!
The switch screws into the handle so it will twist the wires be sure and twist them when you get ready to install switch. The screws for the wires are tiny and easy to lose so be careful.
Is this switch normally open or closed?
I believe it is a normally open switch.
I have the 580 sk and 580sle models and they are both normally open switches.
Simply put a tester across the switch terminals and push the button to verify this
Thanks! Switches are $50 - $90 but waterproof generic switches off eBay are $6-$10 in 5/8” mounts.
I removed a worthless comment about switches on EBay that was here.
Looks like an Otto P3- series here in link to measure to see they are 5 t0 10 amps https://www.otto-controls.com/-/media/products/literature/P3-Product-Bulletin.ashx
Torque converter problem? Should have a declutch button on the shift lever & on the loader control. That wiring controls the little can on the shuttle others have described. I believe you power it to stop the transmission. Mine didn't work. Wiring was a mess & I replaced the solenoid. Most of these torque converters leak. If it has been run low on iol it may have a bad torque converter.
It definitely was the switch. It ran 19 mph down the highway with fluid in the tires.