I am new to the forum and just picked up a Case 580L 4wd Backhoe. I got it for a good deal. It runs great and the hydraulics are strong. However, it does not move. I found a thread yesterday that I cannot find now, but It had some information on the topic that I used. It had a print out of three test ports on top of the valve body. To start I tested my forward and reverse solenoids. They are both clicking, the reverse alarm is working and they both have power going to them when they should. I then used the print out I got off the other thread and checked the test ports. Of the three ports I only got fluid out one (the one closest to the driver side). Nothing out of the other two. Any ideas on this? Also, I pulled the back cone shaped cover next the the forward and reverse solenoids to check the circle clip they say is known to break. When I pulled it off the springs came out along with the dowel looking piece located in the springs. However, There is a piece stuck in the bore that is keeping me from seeing the circle ring? Any ideas on this? Also, what is the orange plug for on the top rear of the transmission? It says oil on it.......Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.
The orange cap is the breather for the tranny. Do you have the valve off? That is a terrible place to try to work to get at the regulator valve and snap ring area, the valve comes off easily, the hardest thing is getting the harnesses unsnapped. If the inner plunger won't come out the snap ring may be at fault. your Case dealer should have a updated snap ring and a special installer to place the ring in the groove back in there. Most often when the snap ring is broken an end will be stuck between the plunger and the casting. Charge pump failure was not unheard of and there was an update back in the day, a new pump and a plug modification in the transmission casting behind the filter, you will have to find a dealer who has been through the mods to know what you are talking about.If you inquire be sure to have your serial number as these mods were serial number sensitive. good luck
Thanks for answering several of my questions. I pulled it out with the valve still in place. I will go ahead and pull the valve off tomorrow and inspect it. Will a faulty snap ring cause the issue I am having along with my issue of just getting fluid out of one of the three test ports? Thanks again
Also, once I get it going I need to change the tranny fluid. What kind of fluid is recommended? Is there anything over the counter that can be used or is the dealer offered fluid the best way to go?
If the hydraulics are strong, stick with the Case fluid - Ackcela or however you spell it. Expensive, but then you can forget about that being the issue.
I agree, the merits of HTU Case brand oil cannot be overstated. Oil is the cheapest investment you can make to insure transmission life. The 3 test ports close to each other are pump supply & F&R test ports,You would not see any pressure in two of the ports if the shuttle lever was not engaged.