Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580l hydraulics stopped working after oil cooler change.

Mike case 580l ยท 2012-09-16 17:18

Hi, I need some help. I have a case 580l backhoe that had a leaking hydraulic oil cooler. I parked the machine to change the cooler and at this time all hydraulics were working. I changed the cooler and started the machine and I have absolutely no hydraulics. My guess is that I have to bleed out the air somewhere but don't know how. any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Replies7
  1. #1Goose2012-09-16 19:04

    Your Hydraulic pump has lost prime. Have someone put a little air pressure in the tank to force oil up to the pump while you start the machine and try moving the boom or loader. Just dont run the machine to long with out hydraulic flow or you will damage the pump. This will also happen a lot of times when you drain the hydraulic tank while changing the oil. The pump is higher than the tank and the oil drains back and the pump losses prime.

  2. #2alaskaforby42012-09-16 19:16

    I just had this happen on my roller and grader, I just disconnected a line from one of the rams and pumped it in a bucket to get the air out. This solved my problem twice.

  3. #3Mike case 580l2012-10-15 21:41

    Just wanted to give thanks and an update to Goose and Alaska. I placed the compressor hose into the fill of the hydraulic tank and packed it with a rag. I started the engine and still nothing. I then combined Alaska and Goose's ideas. I disconnected the intake hose at the pump. ( there are 2 hoses i disconnected the smaller one) I ran the compresses as above without the engine running. The hose sputtered and i bled out the air and oil came out. hooked the hose back up and it worked instantly. Thanks Guys!!!

  4. #4Priemsy2012-10-18 17:10

    Could this happen suddenly while using the hoe?? I lost all hydraulics and the pump was making a noise.

  5. #5Mike case 580l2012-10-18 20:29

    Priemsy: A machine could lose its prime if it was low on oil or there was a leak but i don't think that is likely. It may seem silly but check you fluid level first. Second see if you can get fluid to flow from an unattached hose. Be careful of any pressure in the lines. My guess is that you pump went because of the noise. Good luck Mike

  6. #6RHINOS TRANNYS2012-10-18 23:15

    could be the splines on the pump and coupler that drives it

  7. #7Priemsy2012-10-18 23:39

    Yes, it looks like the pump needs to come off. Thanks fellas.