Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580L kingpin bushing removal

QLW ยท 2019-09-17 15:49

Hello guys/gals, I have a new to me 1997 580L 4WD that is in need of at least kingpins judging by the play. I have the service manual and see that they use some type of internal puller to remove the kingpin bushings from the axle. Any tips on the removal if I don't have the cool toy in the manual? I also have to replace the all U joints in the axle and front drive shaft so any quick tips there would be much appreciated. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2019-09-17 17:48

    Welcome to HEF @QLW If you run some weld around the full id of the bushings & allow to cool, they will shrink & pull out very easily. The CV U joints can be a difficult to press out in the field with just the use of a good vise - I have been known to torch the old crosses & bash out the universal cross caps & then use the vise to assemble. In saying that, if you don't have a good 6" vise available, you will struggle to do the job using just a hammer & punch. You should replace the axle seals while doing this repair, the Carraro seals are very heavy duty & there is not an aftermarket equivalent to them. I always use genuine for this.

  2. #2QLW2019-09-17 22:04

    Thanks for the help. I have welder and torch and a couple of slide hammer pullers. Does anyone have a favorite supplier of the seals oem. I assume case is same as Carraro?

  3. #3irncwby442019-09-20 00:30

    This! Use OEM case parts also!