I have a Case 580L that was running great, well taken care and not abused. Yesterday while drive along went to shift to reverse and then it would not move. Let off the gas and it would move forward and back (just enough to park in it back in its place on even ground) but as soon as you hit the gas it would not move unless it was idling. Today I checked the tranny fluid level (while running) and found it too be low. I filled it up using the Case Tranny Fluid (on the higher side), let the machine warm up and then tried to move it but got absolutely nothing from either forward or reverse. No engagement or movement at all? No noises nothing..... Please advise Thanks Nick
Welcome to HEF nmercier853! There is a lot of info re this problem - here on HEF. To save going over the whole thing again, take a look at this thread - If you have any more questions ask them here on your own thread.
The update is that I have checked the fuses and relays and they are good. The charge pump is also working correctly. I am going to check to see if the torque convertor is working. I am hoping that I find an electrical issue but I am not sure how come the machine went from working at idle to absolutely nothing.
Was the BU alarm in working order?? The BU alarm is fed by the same wire as the reverse solenoid. That is a quick way of telling if the problem is hydraulic or electrical in nature. If the BUalarm works and still doesn't move most likely the hydraulic pressure is down. I fht BU alarm is not functional you could still check for voltage in it's wire Did you check the system pressure at the top of the power shuttle control valve? Pump failure is not unheard of and if it is good the valve is suspect. Since the problem happened when you made a shift I would look at the control valve and check the snap ring in the modulation spool, there has been much discussion and there was a change in snap ring design. I have changed many and usually you find the snap ring piece holding the modulation plunger open. There is a kit and tool to install the new snap ring and mast all Case service depts have it, the snap ring in question is located down in the body and must be installed with a special sleeve and pusher.
The back up alarm does work and I am going to check the pressure at the control valve tomorrow. I believe that it is supposed to 175psi at idle but please do advise. On a simple item what weight oil does the tranny take? I used Case transaxle oil. Is this to heavy of weight?
Yes, way to heavy, drain it immediately and get Case Hytran Ultra. You must change the filter also now. While at it cut the can off the filter and inspect for metal grindings which would indicate a failed tranny pump. Mel
I just picked up a new filter and oil for it. I will drain tomorrow and then fill again. I will update you guys. thanks
I had the CASE Tech come over and before I changed out the fluid he tested the pressure at the control valve and it was not building any pressure. He said that the Charge Pump is not pumping and that the TC is more then likely not spinning so he would replace both items since I am going to have to open it up. Thoughts?
I doubt seriously that the converter is not spinning as I have not seen any coupling issues between the flywheel and converter. Pump failure, very possible, I would drop the unit and replace both the pump and the converter. The TF very well could have been to thick to properly lube the tranny pump, it is a lubricant the consistency of 90 wt gear lube with wet brake additives added. When the pump is on the bench disassemble it and let us know what you find, that will tell the tale. When cleaning up the trans for fresh oil, be sure to remove the little plate on the RH side and clean the filter screen that protects the suctionside of the pump. Mel
I have the machine loaded up on the trailer and I will let you know how the repairs go....the tranny is coming out.