Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M Axle Lube

Bote · 2021-01-11 10:40

I've found some old posts regarding this issue but thought I'd see if there were any new opinions based on experience. I bought a 4WD 580M that was traded in to my local Case dealer. The original manual in the cab specified Hytran for both differentials and planetary hubs. I picked up a new manual for $5 to keep in my office. The new manual is a revised version and specifies 80W140 for everything. I agree with the gear oil in the hubs and the front diff but I've read somewhere that Hytran is best for the rear diff. I don't know what's in it now. I'm performing service before the weather improves and plan to drain and start over. Any current opinions?

Replies8
  1. #1Billrog2021-01-11 12:00

    I've used Hytran every where in the last hoe for 15,000 hrs. and the 580 SM I have now for over 8,000 hrs. and so far so good.

  2. #2melben2021-01-11 16:38

    I agree with Billrog, Hyran is excellent and I would use it in all applications, we sold and serviced hundreds of those and never used anything else and never had a failure with any front planetary gear sets that weren't run dry. The rear axle should definitely have the Case recommended additive to assure smoother brake operation, I have seen a complete rear axle change with additive cure a severe brake chatter.

  3. #3doghead2021-01-11 17:13

    Are you sure the selling dealer did not service anything before selling to you? I would ask the dealer what oils/additives are correct.

  4. #4Bote2021-01-11 17:32

    Thanks for the responses. The few high-hour 580s I'm familiar with all ran Hytran. One of them is owned by a real tightwad, haha. Seriously, he's a really smart machine guy and tells me the hygroscopic quality will make your hydraulics last a long time. In the big picture, it's not that much more expensive. I asked the service manager at my local Case dealer and he said they use Hytran in everything except the hubs. When the weather warms, I'll drain everything and see what's in it. Definitely Hytran for the differentials but if the hubs have gear oil, I'll probably stay with that as I'm hesitant to change to a lower viscocity lubricant for a machine this old. It would be interesting to hear the official Case explanation for the change in the manual.

  5. #5Bote2021-01-11 17:46

    And no service performed by the dealer as I bought it as a trade-in with a short warranty. All the machines I looked at from individuals in this price range were a lot older. I tried to negotiate a complete service but was unsuccessful. I don't have service records from the previous owner but he recorded dates on all the filters which I assume correspond to oil changes. I've already spent a few hundred on oil, filters, etc. I had it checked out by a friend who is a heavy equipment mechanic. It has a few grease fittings. Prior to this purchase, I wondered why in the world anyone would buy a battery operated grease gun.

  6. #6stinky642021-01-11 18:02

    Battery operated guns are very nice but, very expensive for a quality unit w/spare battery at least $300..If you have to grease out in the field buy one..but if you're just greasing in the shop with access to a compressor, check out lincoln air operated grease gun...I've had mine for about 10 years and it's still working great...think I paid about $65 bucks, less than the cost of one replacement battery once they go tit$ up...

  7. #7Bote2021-01-11 21:05

    No power where my hoe will live. I bought it to clean out creeks, dig ponds and build berms for a rifle range on property 9 miles from my home. I'm on a budget and am fortunate to have gotten this machine.

  8. #8Bote2021-01-16 19:36

    It’s confirmed, the hubs have Hytran and are all full. One oil for the engine and one oil for everything else.