Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M Boom Bushing Replacement Project

Bote · 2025-09-26 11:37

I replaced 30 bushings and 8 pins in my Case 580M this spring. I’m a novice heavy equipment mechanic and this was the biggest project I’d ever taken on but was pretty simple when broken down into individual tasks. Tinkerer suggested I share my experience so here goes. I replace a few pins and bushings every winter/spring while I’m waiting for the ground to dry on my farm. Last year I replaced all the pins/bushings in the bucket and dipper end. This year I planned on replacing the two frame swivel bushings and the four swing tower swivel bushings. My intent was to just pull the pins holding the swing tower to the frame and slide the complete boom assembly to one side. I planned on leaving the hydraulic lines connected. I watched a mechanic at my Case dealer do it this way. It turned out the two frame swivel bushings were loose in the bores, so I started searching for someone to perform a weld/line bore repair. Originally, I intended on replacing 6 bushings and 2 pins. With my downtime increased due to the bore repair, I decided to replace all the pins/bushings in the swing tower, boom joint and boom cylinder. I ended up replacing 30 bushings and 8 pins. I use heat to remove bushings unless they are small and easily pushed out. I use foot-long pieces of half-inch rebar to remove bushings. First, I weld a foot long piece of half-inch rebar to the inside of the bushing and then weld the inside circumference. After everything cools I smacked the rebar with a sledge hammer and they usually pop right out. I’m careful about how much force I put on the sledge hammer. Sometimes I have to repeat the heating process. I’ve assembled a collection of tools I use for installing bushings. It includes a Harbor Freight porta power, plus the following from Amazon: 30- and 12-ton hollow rams, set of bushing drivers, 7/8” & ¾” B7 threaded rod. I have short pieces of 2”, 3”, 3 ½” and 4” pipe, adapters cut from 5/8” bar stock, and an adapter make from ¼” bar with some really ugly welding. I use old bushings as well. Since I'm limited to 4 pics I'll do this in parts.

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2025-09-26 12:13

    You are limited to 4 pics per post, not per thread. You could have continued it simply by making a new post and adding 4 more photos each time. Maybe ask an Admin to combine all the threads into one.?

  2. #2Bote2025-09-26 12:37

    Thanks, I sent them a message!