My alarm stays on all the time on my backhoe while in forward, neutral and reverse. I installed a new alarm. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks
I've spent some time online trying to find a schematic of the wiring on this machine without any luck.
I have an OEM shop manual. I'm not great with schematics. If you had a diagram, what would you look for?
I've always rewired mine to a toggle switch so I only have to hear it when necessary.
Rokbart, If the backup alarm is on all of the time, including when the machine is in neutral, then I am going to speculate someone has done some custom wiring for your backup alarm’s positive voltage wire. Possibly the wiring was damaged in the past, and someone attempted to fix? From memory, the backup alarm circuit only has 2 wires. It has a fixed ground and the positive voltage is switched on when the reverse relay is activated by Forward-Neutral-Reverse (FNR) lever being put in the reverse location. As I assume the machine is physically going into reverse gear, the reverse relay would appear to be good. Assuming the machine still has 100% factory wiring, something has to be applying positive voltage to the alarm wire after the relay to active the alarm. If there was a direct short to voltage in the alarm circuit as it came from the factory, the reverse solenoid would also be on all of the time, which would not make sense unless there was some modifications to the wiring done in the past. Now if the alarm is not on when the machine is in neutral (alarm on only when machine is in forward and reverse) or the machine is not moving as expected, there are other possibilities. No sense going in to that, based on your description. Also, what transmission do you have? Powershift (gear selection is done with a rotary 1,2,3,4 switch on the FNR lever), or Powershuttle (gear selection is done with manual shift lever to transmission) The wiring and schematics will have some differences?
I have the powershuttle transmission. I did notice that there is one yellow wire that goes to the negative terminal and two red wires twisted together at the end for the positive terminal. BTW, my machines drives/performs as it should in every gear forward and also in reverse.
Two wires twisted together confirms there has been fingers in there making changes before you. Also, I would not anticipate a red wire going to the backup alarm. Red typically means always active power (not switched), which would be in alignment with your alarm always active. I would suggest you look for other wires in that area, that might have been tucked up, taped up, or cut off the harnesses in that area. Best guess would be a blue wire, but that is only a guess. Perhaps someone else on this Forum has access to a 580 SM series 2 that has not been modified, and can see what color wire goes to the positive terminal on the alarm and where it originates out of the harness bundle at. If I get around a SM, I will take a look as well. The other option might be to run a new wire from alarm positive terminal, to the reverse relay or reverse solenoid. If you go this route, follow good wiring practices such as making sure to put protective sleeving on the wire, retain the wiring properly, make sure connections are both physically and electrically sound, and select the wire size not only for current carrying ability but also to stand up to things like vibration.
I have a 580-C and the back-up alarm wasn't working at all. Found wire disconnected at back-up switch. When pulling the shifter to reverse, there is a spring on a small lever that may have detached. Located on the back-up switch, Causing the switch to be closed all the time
Thanks, I haven't worked on my machine in a while. I will check that out soon.