Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580N Will Not Start – Strange Alarms

MichaelSch ยท 2022-10-28 23:53

2016 model, 3,194 hours, new to me 50 hours ago from Case dealer. They changed all filters, fluids, cleaned machine. See pics. Machine died, #1 pic with warning lights and an alarm sounded. Sounds like a loud ratchet but not as loud as alarms when turning on key on to start. Machine would not start again. 11.3 volts. Alarm continued to sound even with battery disconnect via kill switch engaged. Had to physically disconnect battery cable from terminal to stop the all alarms. Batteries would not charge. Installed 2 brand new Interstate batteries. Only warning light was #3 pic. Ran 20 minutes then I turned machine off. Tried to start again but all the alarms and warning lights were back, would not start. What is the warning light with 3 boxes, #1 pic? Unable to get error codes. Why? Is that because of all the warning lights? Any thoughts and help are welcome.

Replies16
  1. #1Delmer2022-10-29 00:20

    I'm going to call that a networking error, like can bus or iso bus or whatever that runs. Irrelevant though, the symptoms all sound like a dead battery. Charge the batteries overnight, then see if you get the same code, and if you do, what is the battery voltage when running?

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2022-10-29 06:07

    I would say the dealer got the ECM wet when they cleaned it up.

  3. #3Delmer2022-10-29 06:33

    Or just an electrical harness connector, find any clean connectors and open them up for a nice fall day, then make sure they're all tight. I'd say use silicone or dielectric, but check a case manual before you do either of those. I'm not the guy for that answer.

  4. #4MichaelSch2022-11-10 20:38

    Here are the 18 codes that I get. Please let me know your thoughts.

  5. #5MichaelSch2022-11-10 20:39

    5-9 I'm missing #6. I'll have to go get it later

  6. #6MichaelSch2022-11-10 20:41

    10-13

  7. #7MichaelSch2022-11-10 20:42

    14-17

  8. #8MichaelSch2022-11-10 20:42

    Last code, #18

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2022-11-10 21:00

    That ECM has been soaked not just wet.

  10. #10Delmer2022-11-11 00:14

    Did you charge the batteries?

  11. #11MichaelSch2022-11-11 03:18

    Delmer, I replaced the batteries with 2 new units. Backhoe started and ran for about 3 minutes. Then shut down and would not restart. Make a strange sound, not the buzzers from startup; but sounds like a solenoid or something trying to reset

  12. #12Vetech632022-11-11 07:44

    YIKES!!!!

  13. #13Tinkerer2022-11-11 08:09

    Time to get the dealer you bought it from involved ??

  14. #14Delmer2022-11-11 09:18

    Earlier post said 20 minutes, which would be long enough to drain new batteries to not starting, if the lights and fans were on, maybe. That's the simple answer. The other answer seems to be water in a bad place.

  15. #15MichaelSch2022-11-19 22:15

    Issues fixed. Water and debris in the fuel. Dealer had installed a new fuel filter. Apparently, the fuel tank is a mess. Cleaned it all out. Had dealer out to clear codes. Runs without any issues now. Thanks to all

  16. #16Delmer2022-11-19 23:10

    Didn't see that one coming.