So the manual called for CASE TCH for both the hydraulics and the transmission. So I thought TCH was a hydraulic fluid. Since I couldn't get TCH I bought Hydraulic Fluid ISO AW32 and topped off the transmission with a quart or 2 with the AW32. I then read that the transmission(Shuttle Shift type), should use Hytran or Dextron for the transmission. I plan to drain it and refill with Hytran but am having difficulty removing the 1" drain plug as its rounded a little and is shallow and a socket slips off. Maybe I can try a 6 point socket? My question is will the Hydraulic fluid cause damage? Can I drain it using a suction pump from the fill location in front of the gear shift to get some of it out then refill with Hytran? Also what brand Hytran should I buy. Tx
If yours is like my 480c, you have a little cast pan on the bottom of the shuttle, sort of a mini oil pan. You can take it completely off to get the oil out of it, and also clean the oil pickup screen and any sludge build up in the bottom of it. Mine came off without damaging the gasket. You can also work on getting the drain plug out with it on the bench. I don't think the hydraulic oil will cause any damage. I just run the tractor transmission hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply. Looking at it, it's just hydraulic oil with some additives in it. It will say on the side of the jug that it replaces Case TCH.
Thanks for your reply. It's good news that the hydraulic fluid shouldn't damage the trans. The 580B I have doesn't have a removable pan for the trans oil, It's one large cast block. There are 3 1 inch drain plugs about 2' apart. I think the front is the engine oil drain, the middle the trans oil and the rear 90W gear oil.