I have a Case 580 Super E backhoe with a Parker Hannifin loader control valve. The loader boom will "float" if I manually hold the stick in the float position but there is no "detent" to hold it in the float position. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make on the control valve that anyone is familiar with? Thanks in advance.
Mike The endcap on the loader spool contains the detent mechanism, the end plug can be screwed in to adjust detent spring tension but I'm guessing that you will pbly have to remove the valve and thoroughly clean and maybe install a new spring,balls and beveled washers which are the main components to the float. I'm guessing that rust is the contributing factor here but maybe a cleaning and relubing will get you going. Mel
Thank you Mel, I will try that in the morning.
It was just as you said Mel - dry & rusty. I spray lubed it and put it back together. It still didn't work but now I know what to do with it when I get some more down time. The end plug is plastic and was screwed down all the way and I put it back the same. Is this the adjuster you were talking about? If so, what is the effect of more spring pressure vs less? You have been a big help to me and I thank you once again. Mike T
When you have the damaged parts replaced the plastic plug will set the holding strength of the detent, the further in you set it the more lever effort will be needed to release the spool holding mechanism. After you have the new parts installed coat it all with a good quality grease and set it to the appropriate amount to hold the spool so it releases with little effort but holds securely. Usually the plug is flush with the end of the spool endcap. Mel.