Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 550 leaks from converter

kafelsan · 2013-10-24 01:28

Hi, I am thinking of buying a backhoe instead of my David Brown 880. Have been and checking the Ford 550 -82 4wd. Looks to be a perfect machine for me, just the right size, however it is leaking oil from the torque converter, according to the seller started the leak after he had pushed it too hard. Leaks very fast, can’t test it. Have heard / read about the issue and what I can see, there is a lot of work to dismantle the Ford, is there anything special I should consider? I have also heard that it requires precision when to "compress" "front of the cab," and that it will screw the turbine later to avoid damaging it? What can be wrong if it is not the converter seal? What’s the worst case scenario? Do somebody know the page with pictures where I can see how to take apart the Ford? Thank you in advance Fredrik

Replies3
  1. #1robin yates uk2013-10-24 07:08

    sounds like a better idea is to walk away without looking back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

  2. #2kafelsan2013-10-25 14:01

    Sure i would like to buy one in working condition, but they are three times more expensive. And i am in no hurry and like challenges.

  3. #3mitch5042013-10-25 19:57

    Huh ? Putting a front pump seal in a 550 with no cab is about a days work for an experienced man and a helper, though I have never done one with a cab. I think you can see a parts diagram on the Internet, and you can order a service manual from www.jensales.com