Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SE Buckets

Father Time ยท 2022-03-29 20:03

New guy here!! I picket up a 589SE in pretty nice shape. Some of the work I want to do is cleaning out areas and the bucket I have has teeth that do to much damage to the ground. I've been looking for a clean out bucket and found what was advertised as one for a 580. I drove 90 miles and picked it up. I noticed that the attachment points for the pins were a different pattern but figured it would work. Got it home. To the old bucket off and low and behold the new one wasn't even close. It had some minor cracks on the inside of the bucket so I welded them just to keep them from growing. Well now I have a bucket that I can't use and I have no idea what it even is for!! Any help identifying what this is for would be appreciated. Hopefully I can recoup my money. Thanks in advance!

Replies7
  1. #1cuttin edge2022-03-29 20:36

    If you can weld, why not cut the ears of the bucket, get some made to match your machine, and weld them on. That bucket looks like someone else made it to fit something. We have ditching buckets for excavators that have been passed from old to new machine many times, just by making new ears ( mounting plates). Even if you have to pay someone to do the work, might be cheaper than buying another bucket. You have a bucket, so you're over half way there.

  2. #2Father Time2022-03-29 20:59

    Thanks. I was actually thinking of doing that. Having some one weld it. I wouldn't trust my welding for that yet. The pins are also different sizes so it may be a little more work. I'll see what kind of response I get from here and go from there. Thanks again for the info.

  3. #3JBrady2022-03-30 10:18

    I don't know what you paid for that bucket, but you might be better off to just cut you losses and resell it. Case backhoes are everywhere so it stands to reason, so are their buckets. For anything older than a 580N series, you should be looking for a bucket with 1.5" pins, 10 1/8" between the top holes, and 5 1/4" on the bottom holes. I bought a 12" Case ditching bucket that was practically brand new for $500 a couple of years ago. If you pay someone else to modify you bucket, I think you are going to be in for at least $500 and since you said your bucket was already cracked, the feasibility probably isn't there.

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-03-30 10:18

    Welcome to HEF, FT ! If you want a smooth cutting edge for ditch cleaning or any other similar use, weld a piece of flat stock onto the the teeth of the the bucket you have that fits the hoe. It only needs to be welded to the two outside teeth. It will be easier and faster doing that than changing buckets back and forth. If you work alone, changing a bucket can be quite time consuming. It may cost more than it is worth to convert your new bucket to fit your hoe if you have to pay someone to do all the work on it.

  5. #5Father Time2022-03-30 12:24

    I would like to just sell the bucket I don't know what it may fit on. I don't want the next guy not to get something that may not fit. I've also been to to just make a blade to cover the tines. Looking for some usable metal now. Thank you for the help. If any has any ideas on what this might fit I'd appreciate it.

  6. #6StumpyWally2022-03-31 17:52

    You might find this useful....latest info in post #108: HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7Father Time2022-03-31 22:48

    Thanks. I'll measure it out again tomorrow and see what I can find. It is appreciated.