Hi I’m having trouble getting my Case 580se fuel system bled and I’m suspecting my fuel shut-off solenoid is not working properly. -removed the wire connected to the back of the solenoid and get 12v between the wire end and ground. - measured the resistance between the solenoid screw connector and ground and get 8 ohms. But when the solenoid is connected, key is “ON” , my fingers are touching the solenoid and I remove/connect the battery ground...I can’t hear or feel any clicking from the fuel solenoid, the only noise I hear is the Mag-switch going on/off. I suspect the fuel solenoid is gummed up and not fully opening/closing. Do they always make an audible click when functioning properly? As for fuel flow, when I remove the bleed screw on the side of the fuel pump and crank the engine, fuel does come out faster than a drip but doesn’t shoot out straight. The lift pump was recently replaced. When I crack open the injectors and crank, just a small amount of wet fuel appears around the joint. I’d like to remove the fuel solenoid and bench test it, is it possible to get it out without removing the whole injection pump, it’s very tight space and haven’t yet found the right tool or position to break it free so it can be unscrewed. Thanks
Hopefully Thepumpguy will be along to answer. In the meantime, what is the history of this problem? has it been sitting a while and now won't start? did it die? or what? Only other thing I'd try, since you get 8 ohms which I'd assume is good, hook up the wire, and check the voltage under load. Or, if it's a 12V coil, run a test wire from the battery and apply 12V on and off to see if you can get it to click, or if it sparks but doesn't click, keep trying.
It’s an old and crusty solenoid, the machine had been sitting for 5 years but was running for the past few months. It got low on fuel and may have run out but I refilled without checking if the tank was really empty so I can’t say 100% that it’s been run dry or the died due to another cause. Anyway I did the procedure: remove/fill the fuel filters, open air bleed screw on filter head and hand pump, but when I get to the air bleed on the pump and turn on the ignition that’s when I don’t hear or feel any movement from the solenoid. I know other machines with fuel solenoids make an audible “click” so I suspect mine is somehow hung up. Maybe time to remove it from the machine and replace or at least test it further and verify that the plunger is moving.
Those CAV solenoids have a VERY LIGHT spring in them.. Use the “box end” of a 15/16 wrench.. u only need to break it free, about a 1/4 turn.. then u can use your fingers.. If u were to run a hot wire straight from the battery and hold the solenoid while u put the other end of the hot wire to the solenoid, u should FEEL the plunger jump up into the housing.. If not, take it out and bench test it.
Another thing.. if u have the bleeder screw out (by name plate) & crank the engine.. it autta shoot a country mile.!! That’s if, u have a clear path to the pump.. no obstructions, or collapsed hoses.. U CAN take the guts outta that solenoid and screw the body back in.. BUT.. if u get it running, you’ll hafta shut it down w the MANUAL SHUT OFF LEVER.. located on the top cover on the opposite side of the throttle..
Thanks for that Pumpguysc. Got the solenoid out of the pump and bench tested it directly to the battery, it clicked audibly and the plunger pulled in each time the 12v contact was made. I cleaned the contact surfaces, re-installed solenoid but even with my ear 8” away I couldn’t hear it when I’d manually connect the 12v lead. I’m not convinced it’s opening also because with the Lucas pump’s side air bleed screw removed, fuel comes out in spurts but drops off at 45 degrees about 2-3” from the pump, definitely not shooting out like a water pistol and for sure not a country mile. A new solenoid is $13-25 , I think I’ll try replacing the one I have.
Did you try cranking it wit a jumper from the battery to the sol.
Don’t buy that solenoid in a China brand!
Got a recommendation on where to source a new, quality fuel solenoid?
Delphi 7185-900W..
Got a recommendation on a fuel pump as well? Even pressuring the fuel tank, I get nothing thru the fuel pump currently. Pump lever is completely dead, etc.