I think my mind went blank today, or maybe long ago. I have one boom cylinder that I rebuilt and when I took it off it had the crossover hose on it. One end is swivel and the other is straight thread into the cylinder using an O-ring. Having not really looked at it, I stopped by my local NAPA auto store to see if they could make up a new hose. The guy insisted that I needed to put new fittings on it. Here is where I drew a blank. In the early 80's I had a Ford 8N, 1951 model and broke many hoses while I owned it. The local NAPA always fixed me up but as I recall they used my fittings and put new crimping ferrules on the hose. When I got home and looked I could see he was right, fittings can't be used again. Maybe I was dreaming about the 8N also. I pulled the hose, part #D50732 off and will see if he can make one up. I see Coleman gets $50 for the entire thing. I tried to look up the fittings to get an idea of cost and the swivel is no problem to find but the the straight thread end to the cylinder is a no show for me so far. I am just wondering if the NAPA store will carry it (am I wasting my time with them) or is there a better place to go that has reasonable prices. My local Tractor Supply does not make up hoses which sort of surprised me. Anyone have a good experience with a chain store making up hoses?
Where are you located? If you have either a Fastenal or Grainger store nearby they can get any Parker hose fitting for you some even make hose assemblies.
That fitting is very common (SAE) any hose shop should have it, napa is good as any
BlazinSS934, thanks, I forgot about Grainger. I am near Orlando and they are here but not real close, about 35 miles
shopguy, what would or should I expect to pay for the fittings, ball park figure?
just guess n but i would say 10.00 ea.
I had to throw in the towel yesterday on this one. I took my hydraulic line and fittings to NAPA and they were stumped by the straight end fitting. They could not find it in their Gates book. I went to three other hydraulic places and each said they didn't have the fitting. I then searched online for the fitting and came up with what I believe it is, (weatherhead Crimp Fitting 08u-p12). This does not convert to Gates from what I can see but if anyone knows the part number please post it here for future use. NAPA said the cost would be around $60 if they could find the fitting. I bought the entire assembly at the online parts store for $52 and it will be shipped to my local Case dealer. I don't think the Orlando area is very big on hydraulics repair.
Now you got me thinking and that hurts, i will look on mine but is that not a SAE fitting (bolt thread with an o ring grove washer & nut) ?
OK, it is a straight fitting no taper and it has the o-ring grove under the nut, not on the face. The thread is 1.050" exact, (1-1/16") dia and 12tpi with the nut being 1-1/4". The hose is 08 or 1/2"id. There are connectors with the same configuration in the valve body with the other end being a 37 degree jic connection. I am sure these are common but just not around here.
Syndy, I don't know where you are in Fl, but looks like fairly close to Orlando. I'm about 75 Miles south of Jax. The best nearly local source I've found for hydraulics is Central Hydraulics. I go to the one in Daytona. They have several stores in Fl and run a truck between them daily. I'd venture to say, if it's available anywhere they'll have it. Also Look @ Discount Hydraulic Hose on the internet. They've got pix and descriptions, and their prices are super.
There is a Central Hydraulics in Leesburg about 25 miles from me. That was my next stop but I got lazy and ordered it on line. I'm about 12 miles from Disney and I bet they have every hydraulic fitting in existence. Next time I'm in Leesburg I will check them out for future parts, thanks. You must be in Ormond Beach or Daytona.
For my boom cylinders I had to get some plugs and caps. These were #12 JIC fittings. The plug was a Part # 12PNTX-G and the caps were # 12FNTS-S. At a local shop I paid over $7 each for these. Later I found them much cheaper at this link. http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/index.html The hard part is finding the correct part number for what you need. At my local shop they assemble the fittings and hose free, but they get a mint for the parts. I really like the original hard piping although it cost more that replacing them with hoses. You can secure them with clamps etc for a neater job. Is this the one you are working on?
bowen, the one you show is the starboard cylinder. I'm talking about the port cylinder and the other end of the hose in your photo. The "T" in your photo has the same size and configuration thread/o-ring on the left side going into the cylinder as I am sure the cylinders are interchangeable.
Syndy, I'm in Pomona Park. Central Hydaraulics lent me a flow meter to check my machine, and I walked through their parts rooms in Daytona and the amt of stock on hand is unbelievable. They ain't cheap, but very helpful and courteous.
You probably did not waste any money as gas would have cost you more than you might have saved. The one from Case does come with a new o-ring. I paid $37 to have this hose below made to replace a hard pipe, and quickly wished I had ordered the one from case. It's a smaller hose but has the 90 which made it higher $ This hose is for the loader bucket cylinder.
bowen, it looks like you replaced the 3/4" pipe with 3/8" id hose. I guess it will work but the fluid would get there slower. I have been looking at fittings online and any that are angled or somewhat special looking are expensive. I am hoping that when I get up to NC and to the hoe this spring, if I need more hydraulics, O'Reilly's will have a good selection. We don't have O'Reilly's in FL. Hunting down this part on the phone was a waste of time as the people on the other end just kept saying, "bring it in". Well, after driving my Sequoia around all day with zero results, you are right, I spent more on gas than the hydraulic part is worth. I am finding that shopping online is well worthwhile.
:crazy I did NOT replace mine with a smaller diameter hose. It's just rubber vs. metal. I was just making reference to this one being smaller than the one you are looking to replace, as you wanted some price comparison.
Mystery solved, for me anyway. I got the hose/fittings assy today and got the number off the new fitting. It is Gates #G25-120 0812, the G25 being the type of crimp, the 120 the style of thread and in this case with an o-ring and the rest the hose and fitting size. I have looked at a lot of catalogs online and never found this exact one. O'Reilly Auto Parts does list it but we have none here, price, $15. They seem to be all over the machine so now I will know in the future. Here is what it looks like.