I just brought home a Case 580 Super E, this is my first piece of equipment I'll be using for some small projects around the property. Every google search I typed in brought me to this site. I've been reading through the posts on this forum for that past couple of weeks..what a wealth of information! After using it a bit the machine runs nice and strong, aside from the rust, it has what I would call nuisance issues. - after releasing the loader control from rollback it stays at whatever position I let go. So if I let go with a very slow rate of rollback it will continue to rollback at that rate unless I force it to neutral. This also seems to make rollback very sensitive, but that could be me getting used to it. The dump cycle will return the control to center without issue. I see there is only one centering spring in the spool could this be the cause? What are the chances of replacing that spring without opening a can of worms by taking apart the spool? The other issue I may tackle as I have the time -clutch callout not working - Replacing the parking brake disc - the teeth on the disc were completely round off kind of flopping around the shaft. I removed that today so it didn't damage the shaft any more. - it looks like someone welded skid pads on the bucket, I assume this isn't case design. I'm not sure why they are there, anyone know why they might be there? Previous owner said he purchase it like that. Pic on next post.
Picture of skid pads on bucket
Maybe there were pockets on there for a set of forks , looks like the front of the buckets been beefed up as well.
OK on you bucket issue you will have to adjust the return to dig linkage so your bucket will operate correctly. The clutch cut out maybe in your wiring if both buttons do not work. Check your solenoid on the shuttle housing to make sure you have voltage. On your park brake the splined shaft is a stub shaft and can be replaced easily if you have a four wheel drive, if not then the ring gear and pinion will have to be replaced. On your bucket the plates underneath the bucket are probably for forks. the forks would slide in and then clamp to the cutting edge.
It will be a few days before I make it back to the machine but I'll check the return to dig linkage. Even with the machine off the control lever won't return to center after moving it to the left and releasing. I assumed the RTD function held rollback and then released the spool with bucket level. There's a few other electrics that aren't working either(tach and oil temp maybe other too) perhaps they're on the same breaker. I'll crawl under it and check the voltage on the solenoid when I can. It's a 2 wheel drive machine, it was actually the disc itself that had stripped out, the spline shaft looks ok, but I wanted to take the disc off before it did anymore damage. Is this common with the 580 seems like quite a few machines without parking brakes? I will probably end up cutting those pads off the bucket at some point, I don't see a need to keep them there if they are for forks. They seems to get in the way of grading, I either cut in with the bucket or drag those pads.
There is a circuit breaker on the side of the block that sends power to the dash make sure it's good. The early tachs were mechanical and later ones got signal from the alt. check and make sure which you have. The tach drive ran off the nut on the injection pump drive gear. The park brake issue was quite common for the disc to get loose and start rattling. Good idea on the pads they look like they would be in the way, most of the forks like that the blocks were in the bucket anyway. The RTD function may be froze up there is a detent in the bucket spool spring housing that holds the spool in the roll back position until it reaches the correct point.
Thanks for the insight. Finally made it out to the machine. I had a few places that weren't taking grease that I wanted to work on before diving into the other issues. One of the wires going to the solenoid for the clutch is broken right at the solenoid. Looks like I will have to take it to the bench to fix it. How is it removed, is it just threaded on? I checked the the RTD switch and I have voltage going to the RTD at the spool. I unhooked the wires at the spool and it still continues to rollback regardless of how much input I apply to it. What forces the control back to the neutral position after curling the bucket, hydraulic pressure? I have an electric tach, there's 2 wires near the tach that aren't hooked up to anything, must be one of these are for the tach, but I don't see a place to plug them into. I'm thinking the previous owner told me he had a new alternator put in.
There should be a spade terminal on the back of alt and grey wire with female spade should work.
The declutch solenoid does screw off shouldn't have a problem there. The problem with you bucket is either in the linkage or the detent it's self you may have to take the spring cap off to clean the detent balls and grease up then reinstall. But check your linkage first.
Thanks Coy! After going about it the hard way (checking the spring housing) I think I found the issue with the rollback is being caused by the spring/linkage on the anti-rollback. I got the linkage soaking in some break free and I'll try and get to adjust tomorrow. No luck finding where to plug in that wire into the alt. I'll keep looking. Getting these small things fixed up makes me feel better about buying an older machine like this. its a money saver not a money maker for me, so any fix that takes a bit of break free and wrenching is a plus, although I'm sure the boss lady has a different opinion
I thought I had my control issue figured out, but I was wrong. The antirollback is adjust right, I think (loader all the way down and bucket all the way rolled back, bucket spool centered) If I disconnect the antirollback linkage from the loader controls, the bucket operates the way I would expect (returns to center after curl and release or dump and release)and the controls feel right. But when I connect the linkage back up the force on the antirollback spring pushes the controls to the right, holding in rollback and taking a bit more force to dump. Time for a new spring on the loader spool (part 11)? I don't see anything else that would counter act the force of the spring on the antirollback. I'm just working with a parts manual, what I can see and your guys experience and expertise.
Try adjusting the bucket roll back with bucket flat on ground, what I call the load position and see if that helps. Send me a photo of alt please and I'll see what I can find. I know how those boss ladies are for sure.
Fixed! After spinning the linkage connecting the loader controls to the antirollback about 30 times and not showing any threads, I went back to the parts diagram and realized there's no threads on the right side of the rod. The rod and sleeve had rusted together essentially tying the bucket control to the anti-rollback. I cleaned up the rod and reamed out the sleeve, oiled up and now works like it should. Probably is what Coy meant when he said to check the linkage, but for some reason I thought it was threaded on both ends. Pictures of the alternator. The wires in my previous pic are green and black (or maybe brown) but no gray. Pretty sure I have power going to the dash, the rpm needle moves a bit when I turn the key on. Included a pic of the dash as well, again pretty sure it's an electric tach based on the parts diagram, and had the gauge cluster off and there is one big pin connection on the back. Are all of the circuit breakers underneath the dash? Are they resettable breakers like in a house, or fuses and just called circuit breakers? Any trick to getting them out to test them? I couldn't get them to budge.
Hey thanks for the pics and the mention. You are correct about the alt. being the wrong one it should be a Bosch alt. The circuit breakers behind the inst. panel should come out they are just pressed in clips, they are automatic reset breakers but sometimes they do go bad. Also there are two circuit breakers on the engine block that control cab and or operator platform electrics and the other is for starting. I'm glad you figured out the rollback issue hope I helped.