Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 420D IT leaking oil around rear tire

broper@2010 ยท 2017-09-28 22:38

I noticed I have oil leaking around my rear wheel. I assume wheel seal is leaking?? Anyone know how big of a job this is and what process? Thanks in advance

Replies2
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2017-09-28 23:22

    I haven't worked on Cat but I believe they use the Carrao axle just like Case does. So not to bad of a deal just a pain in the behind. Remove tire then planetary housing and then the wheel hub change out seals and reverse process.

  2. #2Numbfingers2017-09-29 02:17

    I just rebuilt a 420D axle 2 weeks ago, (serial BLN) but I don't know if you can pull just the one side planetary housing off without removing the whole axle though. The housing comes off, remove the inner axle shaft, then you can access the bolt that holds the axle shaft in the housing. You might find it easier to go ahead and remove the inner brake housing and discs to get them out of the way though. The outer bearing needs pressed off the axle shaft in order to get the seal off. If it's the right side then you'll have to remove the diff lock fork. About a day, maybe couple hours more.