Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SE- reverse thread on front lug?

Handegard ยท 2022-12-21 15:50

Did this machine have reverse thread on one of the wheels? I am trying to change the front right tire. It has been in place for at least 22 years. I have a very nice impact that can do almost 1200lbs of torque but it didn't budge so I stopped. I don't clearly see any marks to indicate reverse thread, but these have enough surface rust to make it unclear (I will replace once I remove) This is a private restoration for fun (don't even own land) so spending thousands on tools is haaaard to swallow.

Replies12
  1. #1Billrog2022-12-21 17:47

    first some Moveit then a breaker bar with a 10' pipe on the handle.

  2. #2Delmer2022-12-21 18:34

    Even if the stud and nut are perfectly flush, you should be able to see enough of the thread to tell which way it goes. If it's a lug bolt, then look at the back of the hub. If a 1/2" breaker bar isn't enough, get a 3/4, if you've got a 3/4" get a 1"

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-12-21 20:02

    front or rear ?

  4. #4mitch5042022-12-21 22:27

    If they are left hand thread, it's because somebody changed the studs. Some heat on the nuts may make the difference in whether or not you break the studs.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2022-12-22 11:17

    None on mine are left handed thread

  6. #6stinky642022-12-22 14:57

    Unleash the torch, heat will be your friend on this job.

  7. #7Handegard2022-12-23 03:38

    The front wheels have bolt like a European car, not studs and nuts, so there is no visible thread. I'm just overly cautious about direction given the level of torque needed. I don't believe they are reverse thread, but I wanted some reassurance before I tried something with that level of torque LOL. Front right. I ask because the only reverse thread I have ever encountered in my career was on the front right tires of some older trucks like my grandfathers '77 F600. Usually there are indents on the nuts/bolts that indicate if this is the case, but I can't make out clearly on these rusty bolts. No studs here, front tires use lug bolts like European cars. I don't have access to a real heat source, I'm not equipped for this, it's just an old tractor of my grandfathers I enjoy tinkering with. No use for it, and it's hard to justify spending much on a truly useless machine just because of nostalgia. Thank you! Can't be tight if it's liquid right Someone stole my gauges/hose/etc so all I am left with a pair of tanks and a propane torch. I should try that. I do want to learn to weld some day.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-12-23 09:50

    If all else fails remove the hub and wheel and take it a machine shop. The stud can be drilled the depth of the nut and then removed from the hub. I would prolly do it myself ifn it were mine.

  9. #9HarleyHappy2022-12-23 11:39

    You can get good heat out of mapp gas.

  10. #10Delmer2022-12-23 11:49

    Left hand threads are less common, because these go backwards as much as forwards, and even forwards isn't a consistent vibration. Turn them counterclockwise until one comes loose or breaks. Penetrating oil from the back can make a big difference if you have days to let it soak.

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-12-23 16:28

    A Case 580SE has lug bolts, no nuts. Hit the head of it squarely with big azz hammer several times. If you have a B&O hammer use that on the bolt head and it with the big hammer. NO B&O ? Use sort steel rod. WEAR EYE PROTECTION !! I guarantee it will come loose.

  12. #12Jonas3022022-12-23 19:58

    The hammer idea is excellent A torque multiplier might be the affordable answer to more power