Hey all, I've been looking around here for awhile and appreciate all the great info. There is a thread that I recently read about removing the 504bd engine from a case w20C loader. I am facing the same problem of not being able to completely separate the engine from the transmission. HOWEVER- my torque converter housing has no inspection plate to remove and take out the flex plate bolts. The service manual states to: Inspect upper right housing for inspection plate, if inspection plate exists it uses a flex plate and the 8 bolts need to be removed. It doesn't gave any more information if the model doesn't have an inspection plate. I assume it will just come apart. After hours of prying and pulling- I've managed to separate it about 3/4 of an inch. What do you experts suggest here?
Welcome to HEF @Ben Barnett Does removing the dust cover (#18) under the bell housing give access to the bolts? - I can't remember....
I didn't see a removable dust cover under there- but I know the manual doesn't mention it, and only mentions the need to remove 8 bolts if there is an inspection plate. I'm not sure how this engine and transmission are mated together. This is my first time with this
Removed the dust cover and it doesn't help
This thread sounds like similar scenario HeavyEquipmentForums
Could you post a photo or 2 of the flywheel housing where you removed the dust cover ? It seems strange to me that the bolts are not accessible with it removed. There is a chance that the starting motor hole may expose them.
Here's a diagram of the flexplate configuration. You are looking for heads of bolts #35 If you are pulling the engine, the starter should already be removed??
Thanks to all! We pulled the starter but that was no help. As Alrman mentioned before, we looked behind that dust cover again- we couldn't see any bolts, but could feel them and were able to get it all pulled out. Engine is currently on the stand! I'll keep posted with rebuild updates, in case it might help someone in the future. Great stuff guys!