Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SK boom force weak.

DiggerAfrique · 2026-02-10 01:07

My boom on my 580SK seems low on break out force .Just comparing to other TLB’s I’ve seen over the years,my first ownership.The hydraulic pump is new,boom lifts rear of machine easily. Anything I can look for or is it normal for the SK .

Replies15
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-02-10 09:00

    Never know what the hydraulics are doing without putting a gauge on it. If you think it has lower breakout force, is it just in the breakout or all over? What is the pressure relief valve set at? I used to work with a guy, the first thing he’d do is turn the pressure relief valve’s out a turn or two. He couldn’t weld for crap.

  2. #2stinky642026-02-10 09:23

    X2 on the pressure check, put a brand new fleabay pump on my C, had good pressure for two weeks and went limp again. Could lift machine but no force. Must be something else, how could brand new pump be bad? Hooked up gauge to system, bogus pressure, new pump was junk. Ordered new, quality pump from then still open Coleman equipment and remedied issues. Should have spent the extra money out of the gate. Live and learn, buy once, cry once.

  3. #3DiggerAfrique2026-02-10 09:26

    Where can I find the main relief valve?Would it be on the valve block itself. It just seems low on breakout force .

  4. #4stinky642026-02-10 09:37

    Would check pressure before screwing with the relief valve, stuff can go south quick if too much pressure. Don't know about SK on C main relief on front of loader control valve. Test port also on l/s of same valve.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2026-02-10 10:45

    Know nothing about an SK but case usually had the loader controls under passenger side door and main line to backhoe section from there. I recommend getting a set of manuals.

  6. #6DiggerAfrique2026-02-10 12:20

    Just had a look at the manual ,it shows the dipper and the bucket have there own relief valves.I check those out first.I don’t have a gauge to test pressure but the pump is a commercial shearing unit so should be ok there .

  7. #7stinky642026-02-11 09:50

    Order a 3000lb guage online and check pressures or you're pi$$ing into the wind. IMO

  8. #8DiggerAfrique2026-02-11 22:37

    Unfortunately online doesn’t work in the middle of nowhere .I am planning on getting one next time in the city.

  9. #9Willie B2026-02-12 07:42

    If you are talking about the boom only, gauge the pressure in hydraulics going to it. Is the boom able to press down on earth & lift the rear of the tractor, but not so much lifting the boom? I don't think K had port relief in the boom lift. Instead there is a relief valve in the boom piston only one way. If you think, the boom lifts, then you extend the dipper way out there is a leverage against the boom cylinder. The valve is closed, hydraulic relief valve is out of play. If you were lucky, you'd blow a hose. Other hoes have a port relief in the control valve. 580 K models have instead, a relief valve inside the lift cylinder. Mine had a bad piston. I believe a bullet had hit the barrel, dented it. It in turn damaged the piston.

  10. #10Tinkerer2026-02-12 09:28

    There is nothing special about the pressure gauge. I use an oxygen gauge that is used on an oxy/acetylene cutting set. Once they are contaminated with oil they can never be exposed to oxygen again tho.

  11. #11stinky642026-02-12 09:56

    Wasn't trying to be an A-hole, just trying to save you some sanity. When I had my pressure issues replaced relief valve, power beyond o-rings, quick connect fittings, rebuilt backhoe control valve, changed all old intake hoses on pump and supply, went down the rabbit hole until I plugged a gauge into system and realized new pump was kaput. Lived and learned.

  12. #12DiggerAfrique2026-02-12 10:43

    I appreciate all the advice,did add a laughing face that didn’t show for some reason. I’ve spent a fortune in workshops,with the result that I’m sorting crap they did myself.From a sorry sight she is becoming a very helpful right hand and working well .

  13. #13HarleyHappy2026-02-13 09:08

    What kind of bucket, can certainly affect breakout force also the type of mount on the bucket.

  14. #14Tinkerer2026-02-13 09:22

    Engine RPM's and the ability of the engine to maintain the correct speed under load will make a huge difference in the lifting power of any backhoe function.

  15. #15Willie B2026-02-13 09:50

    580 K was a good backhoe. 580 Super N is a great backhoe! K had a shortage of boom lift. I once set marble blocks 30" by 30" by 72". I found it necessary to latch the boom up, lift with the dipper 7000 lbs. Super N would do that without effort.