I'll try to present here the repair process of our 1991 580sk, which caught fire on the last day of 2009. The fire apparently started from the main power wire (electrical short) and it reaked some havoc between the fuel tank and oil tank. Luckily a neighbour noticed the smoke (it was midnight when it started to smoke) and we managed to put out the fire before the firefighters arrived. So far it seems that the parts that went south are : brake reservoir, master cylinders, power steering hoses, all the insulation of the wiring, radiator fan cover, oil and fuel tank caps, the front projectors on the canopy, the windscreen, the front "dash" and the air filters. Will post some pics of the damage tomorrow. The weather hasn't been friendly so we haven't started to fix it yet. Living overseas will make things a little bit more complicated when it comes to sourcing parts :Banghead
If you have major issues on getting parts, Feel free to PM me, I have done a fair amount of international sales and shipping over the years and as long as you will send me the money, paypal or what ever is fine, I'll order and ship your parts from my local case dealer.
Thank you for the offer. We've got a local case dealer, his prices are ridiculous. So far I've had some experience with international shipping on electronics. And I bought a hydraulic pump this summer for the backhoe, from the USA. I'm mostly concerned about finding the parts I need all in one place. Or at least most of the parts.
Unfortunately, If your looking for one stop shopping, the dealer is the place... and you will pay a premium for them there... you should also check www.brokentractor.com , they might have what your looking for.
Finally updating this, I've been caught with finals so no time to even take pics. Things started to get rusty because of the winter and the fact that it's parked outside. Doesn't look too bad now that I had the time to take a closer look. The part list for now looks like this : A173459 - Radiator fan shroud D93981 - Hydraulic oil reservoir cap A24391 - Air pre-cleaner E44082 - Brake fluid reservoir N14784 - Brake master cylinder repair kit D137465- Handbrake / transfer case lever boot A173291 - Air filter inner element A173290 - Air filter outer element 1346028C1 (2) - Hydraulic oil filter D143756 - Air filter housing seal D134256- Front instrument panel, main panel D134389- Front instrument panel, drawer Still haven't started up the engine because the hoses to the steering control valve are shot. Need to change those and fire up the engine for a few moments. If anyone knows somebody who is wrecking a 580k or sk, please let me know. I need all sorts of bits and pieces so most of these have no problems if bought used. First things after the hoses are the brake fluid reservoir, fan shroud and brake cylinder repair kits.
Check out ebay, I was looking the other day, and there was atleast one being stripped for parts.
Interesting, I probably can't search right, couldn't find the ones for stripping. Do you have a link handy ?
I just did a quick check, im sitting in Phili Pa on a plain... the auctions dont seem to be there... they must have ended...
If you're looking for used parts check out Wengers I took notice you're looking for parts for a Case 580 SK. Wengers of Myerstown has a pretty good list of Case 580 parts online. If you can't find what you're looking for on their website, I'm sure you could give them a call. They deal with a lot of used Construction Equipment, and I'm sure they'll be able to help. 1.800.552.5080.
Hello. Thanks for the hint, I'll shoot them an email . Got some work done today, replaced the hoses for the steering pump. Going tomorrow to look for a brake fuild reservoir at the local u-pull. Speaking of brakes, do I need to bleed the brake pumps ? They will most likely need a rebuild kit.
Have you seen Ando's thread? HeavyEquipmentForums Ando was working on his 580 brake system. You might try to PM gggraham, or Alrman also, both are very good mechanics. Phil
Sorry for not keeping this updated, had some financial set-backs along with school work Brake cylinder repair kits are in transit, I'll check around the thread Phil, thanks for the reference. I've found that the accelerator pedal levers were melted, had to fabricate them out of metal : The radiator shroud was melted half-way and since I'm handy with fiberglass I used the remaining half and rebuilt it out of fiberglass. Looks ugly now, but it's far from complete.
Started working today on the electrical system. The engine harness is mostly a mess. The front harness (turn signal controls, turn signal relay, brake pedal switch) is also a mess. Right now I'm debating wether to change the harnesses or repair them. The biggest problem is the fact that I can't find the harnesses in Europe. The US harness part numbers are different from the euro versions but the pics look similar. Can anyone shed some light on the harness differences ? Here are pictures from the case parts catalog : Euro version : US version: Part of my engine harness, I'll get it all out tomorrow and compare it with the parts catalogue
Missing drain plug? I don't seem to have ability to PM gggraham or Goose, or start new thread, so posting a reply to an unrelated thread... I have a Case 580SuperK backhoe. I was chaning the oil and noticed that just to the rear of the oil pan is anouther housing with a threaded hole in the bottom. (bell housing? torque converter housing?) I think I read in Ando's thread that his previous owner had plugged this to stop a leak, but that it is an inspection hole? Here are some pics. None have a plug in them. http://www.ironplanet.com/i/100/335/1003352101-full.jpg http://www.ironplanet.com/i/100/306/1003064901-full.jpg http://www.ironplanet.com.au/i/103/939/1039396801-full.jpg http://www.ironplanet.com/i/138/249/1382491701-full.jpg Is this really not supposed to have a plug? Does it hurt anything to plug it? Should it have fluid in it? Thanks,
The housing you are looking at is the torque converter housing, which should not have a plug in it. The hole in the bottom is to allow access to your torque converter, to drain the oil. There will only be oil in this housing if you have a leaky converter/seals.
I've looked under mine and indeed it's not plugged. Looked at another a few days ago and it wasn't plugged either. Got some work done today, replaced the wires on the right side of the engine (alternator tach output, solenoid to starter relay, battery to starter relay, alternator to battery, temperature sender to cluster). I noticed 2 senders on the water pump housing. Are both for water temperature ?
Ok, most of the engine wiring harness done. It's on a halt untill I get the weatherproof connectors from the US to replace the burnt ones. There are some wires which I haven't identified yet and they aren't marked in the us service manual, some head scratching is up next... BIG thanks to Carlisle brake parts in UK for helping me with the check valve seats for the master cylinders. Mine melted in the fire and the repair kit doesn't contain any. Is it normal for my images not to show up ?
Would you happen to know what rating and size the 580K boom & dipper hydraulic hoses are from the tractor to the hoe? I was wondering if they are 100R2, 100R4, etc and what the ID is.
Just thought it would be nice to update this. All the wiring was finished about a year ago, worked perfect from the first go, hopefully it won't give me problems. No pics of the completed mess but I will snap some of how it looks now around the engine. Fabricated a new dash, again from fiberglass. A compartment was added, with a stainless steel lid, doesn't look as good as the original one though. Brake fluid reservoirs + level sensor were sourced from the wreckers, they come off some VW and fit perfect. Plexiglass front windscreen: Just recently I used RTV to seal the pushrod cover, since the fire cooked the original gasket to solid plastic. New gasket needed. The oil filler neck leaks at the block connection, again from fire damage, RTV should fix it. Slowly washing away the burn marks
The dash needs boots on the parking brake and 4x4 lever and a coat of paint. You can spot the VW brake fluid reservoir and the 'fancy' air filter gasket Alternator side wiring. The culprit of the fire is now wrapped in thick rubber hose and sits tight in the mounting rings. Completed fan shroud.
It always amazed me what people in areas around the world where parts and money can be a real problem can do when needed. Looks like a great job! Rick
Thanks ! I've done my best not to ghetto-fab things and get them done right. Parts aren't scarce but they are terribly expensive from the dealer ($300 for the brake fluid reservoir ?) so options have to be found. When ebay or overseas suppliers don't help, you get what you see in the pics. Speaking of parts, does anyone know where I can find door seals ? Scavenging from cars is out of the question...