Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SK Hydraulic drain plugs location.

Gregg9275 ยท 2021-05-01 22:47

I picked up a 1992 Case 580SK backhoe. I need to flush the hydraulics. The plug I found is 1-7/8" socket. It is on the right side bottom of the main frame. Can someone tell me if I am on the correct bolt to drain the fluid. It is frozen.. Couldn't break it loose with a 3/4" breaker bar and a 4 ft metal extension. I am concerned about putting a torch on it for heat assuming I am on the correct plug to drain the Hydraulic fluid. There is the same size bolt on the opposite side which I am assuming is for the diesel fuel. Looks like the frame is used as reservoirs for hydraulic fluid on the right and diesel on the left. Any help would be appreciated. Any other places to drain the fluid? Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1alrman2021-05-02 18:22

    Welcome to HEF @Gregg9275 The plug you are trying to undo under the RHS chassis is indeed the drain plug. For some reason people like to tighten them excessively - in saying that, the guy at on the 580SK assembly line seemed to do them all up that way - as the first time you ever had to undo them they were always crazy tight. You will need a longer pipe & preferably 1" drive breaker bar & socket.........

  2. #2Gregg92752021-05-02 19:43

    Thanks Alrman, I appreciate the reply. I am picking up a 1" drive impact tomorrow and see if that works for me. I have the 1" drive impact sockets.. Thank again..

  3. #3alrman2021-05-02 20:39

    If you use an impact gun - be mindful that when that plug comes out - 60lt of oil will follow at a great rate of knots!

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-05-02 21:45

    Don't forget to clean the screen.

  5. #5Gregg92752021-05-03 20:06

    Thinking of using grandchildren's wading pool to drain. Screen? Where is the screen? I have a manual but didn't know there was a screen.. Thanks

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2021-05-04 13:33

    The screen is up by the hyd. pump where suction line goes to pump. There are flange bolts that hold screen in to frame.

  7. #7Gregg92752021-05-04 13:37

    Thanks Coy, 1" harbor freight impact gun did its job. Easy.. Going for the screen Thanks..

  8. #8Gregg92752021-05-04 14:18

    Coy, It looks like I have to pull the radiator, oil cooler, and possibly the hydraulic pump to get to the screen. Is that correct? Thanks

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2021-05-04 14:54

    You should be able to get suction screen off by removing the front cover plate or the counter weight, which ever you have. Be careful if you have the counter weight it weighs about 250lbs I think. I used a come along attached to cross beam on loader frame and a chain to hold weight. Once you remove that you will be able to access the suction hose a lot better. I always loosened the clamps on hose and then removed the fitting in pump that made it easier to remove suction hose from flange.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-05-04 15:29
  11. #11alrman2021-05-04 15:52

    If the oil is already drained, with the loader frame on the ground, it is difficult to remove the counterweight. Unless the drained oil was milky or had alot of contamination/lumps in it - cleaning the screen is not worth the effort. So if your drained oil looks like it just came out of a new drum - I wouldn't bother. It's usually job you do whenever you remove the hydraulic pump - not made for easy serviceability.

  12. #12Gregg92752021-05-04 19:34

    Thanks for all the help everyone. Made the job much easier with your feedback.

  13. #13greggvb2024-03-09 13:43

    Ironically I go looking for the size of that plug, and I find another Gregg with the same 1992 580sk! About to do the same thing.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2024-03-09 15:24

    That is the correct plug you might have to hit it with a big hammer to jar it a bit.

  15. #15greggvb2024-03-09 15:35

    Success! Was able to bust it loose with a 4' long 3/4 breaker bar. Took some cohones, but no hammer. Had 5 5 gallon empty buckets on hand, swapping them out as quick as I could. Minimal spillage. Fyi, it will fill a 5ga bucket in what seemed like 5 seconds!

  16. #16Coy Lancaster2024-03-09 20:55

    Yeah it will