I’m getting a little bit of black smoke out the exhaust on my 580b. It’s got the 188 Diesel engine. It’s not obvious from a distance but noticeable from the seat. I don’t notice it until the rpm is over 1000. Does this sound about normal for these engines or should I be checking into it more. Again; it’s not a lot, just enough to notice.
Is the engine under a load when you see it? Or is it all the time?
All the time
Try adjusting the pump to engine timing by turning the inj pump in its slots.. Make a reference mark FIRST.. Tighten the mounting bolts after each adjustment.. DO NOT turn the pump while loose. (Like a distributor)
Is it puffing black smoke or is it full on black smoke?
Pumpguy, do you mean don't turn while running? I know you are the guy for pump repairs and will get mine if/when it needs it. But how would you turn it if it was tight. I need to check mine too. Just got a 580b, oil was changed religiously but other things were neglected and it puffs a little.
Loosen bolts, turn pump & tighten bolts.. run engine check for improvement. If worse, loosen bolts, turn pump back the other way & retighten bolts..