I have a case 580 sk hydraulic oil is going into the transmission. Anyone have an idea where it could leak into it at? Transmission is full to the top and leaking out. Must leak out of hydraulics pretty fast. Any information about fixing would be appreciated thanks.
cant happen two separate compartments no connection between two you sure its a 580sk
Yes super k fill the hydraulic up run machine everything works ok. Oil soon to low for hydraulic to work. oil leaks out vent on top of diff . Transmission full to top of dip stick.
Did this just suddenly start while running it? I could see if maybe somebody crossed the lines on the oil cooler, or something similar...
I'm thinking like mitch504 if you have had radiator work or cooler work done there could be an issue with crossed hoses. Other than that the hyd. system and the transmission are stand alone systems, even brakes have their own reservoir.
Just bought the machine. No leaks very clean. Thought it had a line leaking under platform. All looks good other than oil out the vent. I haven’t thought about cooler. Will have to follow some hoses. Anyone have a diagram of where the hoses and line should go?
You will need to navigate to the different pages to view all the different hose routing. Click on the orange BACK TO MANUAL bar to see the main menu. At the bottom of the pages there is a small icon that looks like a grid. Click on that to change the menu from a list to a pictorial view. Check the hose routing to the filters. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...c02378&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr100583ar1094372
I don’t see any hoses that looks moved. The left brake is not working can easily push to the stop. Wouldn’t think it could get much oil through there. Looks like hydraulic oil going through the master cylinders.
The master cylinders require Case HY-Trans oil. NO DOT BRAKE FLUID !!
The 508Es and Ls up to present were the only machines that brake master cyl. refilled off of hyd. system.
Below is the exact way the fluids should be routed to the oil cooler. I would think your problem is there somewhere. Well, you said you just got the machine, probably bought someone else's problem. Maybe it isn't a hose (or two) that has been hooked up incorrectly. Most likely is tho ! Perhaps some dummy has added a hose between the two systems for some unknown reason. Remove the screen #15 and see if it is clean. Not really related to your problem but it should be serviced.
Has there been any damage/leaks and subsequent repair to the one of the tubes in the cooler assembly? Keep in mind a way to repair a leaky tube section in a cooler/radiator (not necessarily the best from a cooling perspective), is by bypassing/bridging the leaky tube over to the next closest tube with some creative plumbing and soldering. Essentially eliminating fluid flow to the leaky tube in the cooler. The cooler as shown in the pictorial that Tinkerer attached above shows a single cooler assembly with 2 separate cooling circuits. (1 for tranaxle and 1 for hydraulics) If there was some past leak or damage, perhaps someone thought they could do some bridging around a leaky tube but instead ended up connecting the 2 different cooler circuits together?
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the cooler sections was damaged or leaking for some reason and someone decided to hook all the hoses to the good section.
I hope Elman1 comes back to tell us what he finds, I am curious, now.
Talk to case tech said he’s sure it the brake cylinder. In trans axel
He is right about that. But, the only hydraulic oil the brakes use is what is in the reservoir on top of the master cylinders. The fact your hydraulic reservoir gets so low the your hydraulic functions cease to work and at the same time you have oil coming out of the top of the transmission is an entirely different problem. By all means repair that left brake. For safety's sake if for no other reason.
Yep, there is no way for a superK to put more oil into the tranny through the brake than the 3 or 4 ounces you pour in the master cylinder. there is NO connection between the brakes and the hydraulics on a superK. There IS such a connection on the ones made afterwards. The problem with dealer techs sometimes is that they only work on fairly new stuff.
My master cylinder doesn’t have anywhere to add oil. I have a hose that connects to the hydraulic line near the filter and another that connects to a hydraulic line. I will have to look again where. But has no hole in the top of plastic container. Also of course two lines to the master cylinders.
That sounds like "L" series brake system to me, if that's the case then the brake piston seal could allow hyd. oil into tranny. I've never seen a "L" series brake system on a "K" series machine but hey I haven't seen everything yet.
yeah, definitely not original superK stuff What's your serial number?
Ok I’ve done some more looking. I do have a 580 Super K serial# JJG0163882. What year would it be? Someone said newer machines had hydraulic to master cylinders so looked at parts diagram for super L mine is plumbed like the super L. Fitting on the hydraulic filter mount has Ben changed and hose to the reservoir. The drain out of reservoir has a fitting add before returning to the hydraulic reservoir in the frame. Now if I have bad o rings in the brake cylinder would it pump threw the master cylinder or would it have to need rebuilt also? Has to be leaking a lot more than pumping the brake. Really don’t know how fast it looses it.
Well evidently you have one of the last SKs that were produced and they changed the brake system before going to the Ls. I can't say I ever saw one but there's that. So now to get back to your problem, you probably do have a brake piston seal leaking hyd. oil into tranny. You will have to drop tranny and remove axles to repair piston seals and any other issues that you may have.
The serial number goes to a 1991 vintage, and SKs were made 1990-1994. Therefore, if you have a L series style brake system, I would believe it is a non-factory modified setup as the machine is 4 years before the L series. Before jumping in for parts and repairs, can you temporally cap/plug the reservoir oil feed from the filter and the reservoir input, to see if the transaxle overflow issue stops? If you do, be VERY careful as it sounds like you may not have any brakes, at least on one side. This also begs the question, why did the previous owner invest time and money to install an auto-filling brake reservoir on the machine? You may find more to the story once you dig into the brake piston and likely master cylinder. Personally, I would be tempted to restore the brake system to factory K series configuration. Put another way, better to be safe than sorry where brakes are concerned
How big a job is it to take the transmission out? Do you have to take the transmission out to work on brakes? Can you just take the axle out and get to the brake?
You really should drop the transmission out but you can drop it low enough to get the axle out providing you have a really good transmission jack (because this one is heavy) and a hoist or cherry picker to handle the axle housing.
Elman, If you have not already consider getting a service manual, I would recommend acquiring one. The 580 Super K service manual includes step by step instructions for servicing brakes, master cylinder, and taking out the transaxle along with text description and pictures.
Received my service manual in the mail today. Hoping for some short cuts and advice. Thanks
Anyone know the weight of the transaxle and just the axle and housing?
The transaxle is every bit of 1 tonne & the individual axles would easily be between 150 & 200kg each - lifting equipment is required.
The up side of changing the master cylinders back to the style with reservoirs is that you will never flood the transmission with hydraulic oil again.
I don’t understand how the fluid works on the L, I guess it just flows through the reservoir by the restriction of the filter. I guess you would know if it started leaking again if it was changed back.
You will find all you need to know here ---> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...067c52e&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr52976ar1074388 Left click once on the posted image to enlarge it.
Disconnected the line to the brake reservoir and leak stopped. Also seemed to have faster hydraulic action but can’t think that would make a difference.
The brake fluid supply prolly has priority over hydraulic functions. Also after disconnecting and plugging the brake supply line the hyd.tank fluid level would stay high enough to supply the pump with all the oil needed for everything to work. Draining the transmission down to the proper level would be the next thing to do. Unless you are going to fix the brake leak which should get top priority.
Ya already drained down before I disconnected the hose. I am ordering o- rings tomorrow. Am also looking for parts to change back to original.
The master cylinder reservoirs should be easy to find. Are you going to overhaul both of the brakes ? Just wondering.
Haven’t had any luck finding used parts. Did get o rings for both sides while I’m there.
Call Dale Wiess he will be able to help. Explain to him what you are doing. I have purchased from him many times. Here is a link to his website ---> http://e-backhoeparts.com/
Dale has my parts in the mail to put back to original.
I wonder why case used Hyd oil on the L series instead of using the transmission oil. They could have connected to the filter for it to, just like the hydraulic.