Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tips for removing nut on hydraulic cylinder

Steve111 ยท 2019-07-13 17:38

Hey guys I have a case 580k. Trying to get this dang 2 1/4in bolt out of the end of this rod and having a hard time. Is there red loc tite in these threads or something? Had about 8 foot bar in this thing with no movement. How does everyone get these off? Should I be breaking out the torch to heat it up?

Replies27
  1. #1nova4812019-07-13 17:49

    Hi Steve I just did the swing cylinder on my 580C. Yes, there is red thread locker on the bolt, all I had was a small torch with Mapp gas and a Harbor Freight laser thermometer. I propped the torch up right at the head of the bolt and let it get to 600 degrees, took 6 minutes. It came right off. Ron

  2. #2AzIron2019-07-13 20:56

    A big impact is what I have always used to take them apart

  3. #3Steve1112019-07-13 20:59

    How big are we talking? Bigger then 1/2 ingersoll rand titanium?

  4. #4Delmer2019-07-13 21:05

    he probably means a 3/4" or 1" impact. Your 8' bar shouldn't have any problem, you just need to heat it. I don't think you have to get it 600, try it when the steel of the cylinder rod will sizzle a drop of water.

  5. #5AzIron2019-07-13 21:08

    Yea 3/4 I put the 1 inch on a boom ram on a 420 last fall or get a multiplier I use a 4 to going back together I dont use the impact going back We did a swing cinder that we didn't the luxury of an impact for use the multiplier with a 5 foot cheater and 250 pounds of lard ass you be surprised how well it went

  6. #6Steve1112019-07-13 22:02

    I am going to buy the 1in earthquake impact from harbor freight tomorrow and see how it does. Apparently rated at 2500 ft lbs. Good reviews too. I will update with results.

  7. #7Delmer2019-07-13 22:16

    Any gun is only as good as the air. Do you have a 1" hose? there's ways to cheat a little... Also, forgot to mention, once it's hot give the bolt a whack, and then put the lard on the cheater pipe.

  8. #8Steve1112019-07-13 22:44

    The one at harbor freight is rated for 1/2in hose. Going to do the entire setup and see how it goes. My ingersoll rand compressor has a 1/2in output at the regulator so I should be able to get most of The torque from it.

  9. #9Steve1112019-07-14 12:07

    Couldn't get it with the 1in impact. Maybe I can heat it up with the oxy acetylene torch first then let it cool? There is definatly red lock tite on these?

  10. #10Delmer2019-07-14 12:21

    Surprise surprise. I have an old freon tank with a straight fitting going to a 3/4" hose about 4' long that connects directly to the gun, the tank fitting has a 3/8 air fitting coming in the side. You let the compressor turn on and once it turns off, your tank is full and you get one shot at the bolt before the air pressure drops, then you give it ten seconds and hit it again. If you haven't gotten it loose yet, there's probably locktite. Try the cheater bar when it's hot, the heat softens the locktite, it doesn't remove it. What would you accomplish letting it cool?

  11. #11Steve1112019-07-14 12:39

    I just don't want to hit that bolt with all that torque while it's cherry red. I'm afraid of destroying the head of it

  12. #12Steve1112019-07-14 13:24

    Heated the head of the bolt used cherry red with the rose bud tip and blasted with the 1in impact and it came right off. Now I know the secret

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-07-14 13:49

    Make sure to use the proper grade of new bolt when you put it back together. The cherry red heat will have destroyed the temper of the bolt. You don't want the bolt breaking.

  14. #14dieseldog5.92019-07-14 16:49

    Check your compressors kick out pressure, work like that likes 150+ air pressure, 180 if you can get it, also I have seen guys hook up a 1/2 inch hose using 1/4 fittings kind of defeats the purpose.

  15. #15Steve1112019-07-14 17:24

    I have a single stage only so I got 135psi max. I hooked up directly to the regulator output which is 1/2 in and then directly to the air inlet on impact so I had no fittings. It's very strong. It was just that dang loctite that made it so difficult

  16. #16dieseldog5.92019-07-14 17:44

    When you hook that gun up to 180 psi, loctite will no longer be a problem, you will want two hands on it. Some cylinders can be tricky.

  17. #17Welder Dave2019-07-14 23:51

    I have never seen air tools rated for over 125 PSI. Most are rated for 90 PSI. Larger tools require more CFM but not more air pressure. That's why they make larger impact wrenches. Using over 125 PSI is bad advice in my opinion. It can be very dangerous to use too high a pressure. If a cylinder nut is that tight, take it to a shop with a proper cylinder bench.

  18. #18Nige2019-07-15 05:22

    Air flow for me is always the key, provided the pressure is up somewhere around the 120 mark, some manufacturers specify less. For example Ingersoll Rand call for "clean, dry air at 90psig maximum air pressure at the tool inlet, unless a higher pressure is specified on the tool." My rule of thumb is that the air line diameter should be the same size as the drive on the impact wrench, so for a 1" wrench the hose should be 1" diameter, and make sure there are no bottlenecks such as restrictive fittings in the line. As an example I once found a 1" line that reduced to 1/2" to go through a filter, then stepped back up from 1/2" to 1" again - and people wondered why it wouldn't flow enough air for the air tools........... A bigger filter with 1" connections on it and voila...

  19. #19kshansen2019-07-15 09:46

    And if you want to know how the people who make red locktite say to remove/disassemble it: http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker/

  20. #20mitch5042019-07-15 10:06

    They specify pressure at the inlet of the tool while it is running. Put a tee on the inlet with a gauge in it you'll probably be shocked how much friction loss most air systems have.

  21. #21Steve1112019-07-15 11:56

    Once I got it hot enough it came right off with no issue. The impact had plenty of power. It was just that dang red loctite

  22. #22JL Sargent2019-07-26 20:30

    The trick is to look for the smoke! Once you get it hot enough to cook out the locktite, you're on the way to getting it off.

  23. #23AU.CASE2019-07-27 07:39

    Interesting thread; I had one cylinder of the thirteen I rebuilt which couldn't be budged; Namely the dipper cylinder shaft with its 1.25" UNF bolt. I welded an impact socket to a bar and pulled it with my wheel tractor's blade. It came away smoothly and has been rebuilt using the same technique with no leaks or problems like all the twelve other cylinders I rebuilt just after our machine arrived.

  24. #24kshansen2019-07-27 10:23

    Would not want to have the safety people at the quarry catch me trying something like that! That's why when I hooked a chain jack to the 1 inch ratchet handle I always checked outside the shop door first and tried to schedule that work close to lunch knowing they would be taking a long lunch in town!

  25. #25DMiller2019-07-27 10:37

    You were not the only one being cautious with the Safety Cops lurking around with imagineered tooling!!

  26. #26terex herder2019-07-27 16:52

    When it's tight you can't beat a slugging wrench and a heavy hammer. I have a snappy that is 1" drive as well as dedicated sizes. Hammer size to suit, I have to 20lb.

  27. #27Steve1112019-07-27 22:50

    Interesting technique. Now that I know these have red loctite on them the 1in impact makes quick work of them after heating.