I have a case 580 SK turbo four-wheel-drive extended hoe I have lost first second and third gear but still have forth gear and reverse. Thought maybe it was the shifter forks so I remove the transaxle took the cover off the front of the transmission everything looks normal forks are shifting everything like they should as far as I can tell. I am stumped don’t know what to do could it be something in the Forward/reverse valve body? Or the valve assembly solenoid or something electrical I don’t know? Any help would be appreciated!
Have you checked the linkage for the shifter? Case always had issues with those. Can you get a clear view of the synchronizers with cover off and check the collars and rings? I'd for sure do some investigation before I put that beast back in.
yes checked all linkage looks good ! yes they have always shifted kinda nasty ! yes i have unless there is something internally on the shuttle shaft with the friction disks ? have not tore them apart. but everything seems to shift ok viewing the shifter forks ? the forward/reverse valve body would it have anything to do with issues ?
i need help anybody ?
O man.... Help may have best been asked for, BEFORE you have disabled any further testing ability by removing the transaxle..... but here we go anyway...... When you say "lost first, second & third gear" - does that mean there is no drive forward or reverse in any of those gears? Yet you feel the 4sp shift lever to be working properly? OR Did the shift lever feel tight & not engage the gears? When in forth gear, only reverse works & no forward? Did you take note of what the driveshaft from the convertor was doing during any of this testing? Spinning fast as a blur? & then stopped when in gear & engaging fwd or rev? Slow & docile? Not at all? Does the FNR spool on the control valve have equal travel between neutral to fwd & neutral to rev position? Did you use the transmission cut-out button on the shift lever during gear change testing? OR manually shift into neutral with the FNR lever? Does that cut-out button have a strong click during depress & release? eg click on / click off? Have you pulled the suction screen yet? Anything to report from doing that? How many hours has the machine done?
figured it out . fourth gear is froze to pinion shaft !
Yep! That"ll do it! Just wondering how it came about for you? Was the machine towed a long way?
Wow you could take 4th gear out of mine and pitch it in the weeds and I would never know it. I would like to hear "how it came about on you" as well.
Coasting down a hill in neutral ??
I’m not sure how it happened I was going up a hill in fourth gear grabbed third gear went in just fine climb the hill got to the top went over pull over to the side went from 3rd to 2nd By holding the neutral switch on gear shift lever . was coasting very slowly and then let out on the neutral switch in second and it all froze up that’s when I lost first second third but still had fourth and reverse
Reverse in all four gears?
No just fourth