Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SK transaxle balance point

mbavers ยท 2021-07-16 23:56

I've decided to lower the unit and fix brake where she sits, rather than completely remove unit. I have no place to move it to where I would be more comfortable, and everything should be easily accessible. Only question I have is where the fore/aft balance point is, so I can most advantageously place the jack. I can't get a transmission jack. I was set to place floor jack slightly fore of the axle center line, but I'd like to be sure before I commit myself.

Replies12
  1. #1alrman2021-07-17 02:28

    That just looks like an accident waiting to happen..... The transaxle will never stay on that small jack base. I actually bolt my 14" square transmission jack base to the transaxle for more security. The axle housings are also heavy! Maybe 200kg each. How are you going to handle them? Can't you find/beg/borrow/hire a forklift with some fork extensions?

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-07-17 08:29

    Nooooo ! Don't use that floor jack !!! I had one fold up and tip over trying to raise a shed. I was in no danger of being injured like I see in your photo.

  3. #3edgephoto2021-07-17 10:43

    Remember to say the magic words...."Hold my beer....." I have to remove the rear axle from my Cat 425. Need to replace a leaking axle seal and while in there I will replace the brakes. I am going to make a couple dollies to allow me to wheel it out. I will remove the tires and use the outriggers to lower the machine onto the dollies, then undo the bolts and lift the machine up so I can wheel the assembly out from the side. Floor jacks do not lift straight up and when loaded the do not roll real easy. If the load isn't centered they can collapse as was mentioned above. Buy parts and make some dollies, buy a proper jack for this job or rent something. Not worth getting hurt. Also nothing more frustrating than not having a tool to get the job done.

  4. #4mbavers2021-07-17 13:51

    Thanks all for replies. I had thought of raising and lowering machine from/to the transaxle, but I can't run the engine with the suction hose removed from the axle. I'm thinking of balancing a larger, more sturdy floor jack and using it to slowly lower the transaxle with long threaded rods installed in place of the four mounting bolts, and gradually turning the nuts on the rods an inch at a time as I lower the unit. If I can determine the fore/aft balance point it seems there would be minimum twisting tendency of the unit as I lower it. Also I would use wood blocking as back up, lowering the blocking as I go. Slow, yes, but I think I could keep it safe that way. I only have to lower the unit 8 inches or so. Would that work?

  5. #5mbavers2021-07-17 15:31

    Friend has Bobcat and forks, but is out of state. Might wait for him. See my post 9:51AM.

  6. #6mbavers2021-07-17 15:32

    Thanks. See my post 9:51AM.

  7. #7mbavers2021-07-17 15:33

    Thanks. See my post 9:51AM.

  8. #8alrman2021-07-17 17:37

    If you remove the torque convertor housing, which will take the charge pump with it - you can then run the engine & safely lower the transaxle using the stabilisers. It's not a big job to do, maybe take less than an hour. The first time I had to do this in the field when still working for JICase, its how I had to do it. Actually pushed the machine off the transaxle, then used the hoe to load the transaxle onto the truck for workshop repairs.(no crane ....cheap dealers...) A bobcat with forks on it is also too unstable....& I don't think will handle the weight.

  9. #9mbavers2021-07-17 20:56

    Well, you've certainly given me another option. I just went to town and bought a 2 1/4 ton combo jack (transmission, motorcycle, etc) with a wider base and pad, so might try that first. My original question still stands: "Only question I have is where the fore/aft balance point is." Surely someone must have an idea on this.

  10. #10Hamestring2021-07-19 14:51

    These guys are telling you right, don't try it with that jack. I had a transmission jack like you would use for a car or pickup trans and it didn't hold it. This thing is HEAVY. Here's what I did. Get some 3/4" all thread (4 pcs. about 2' long). Take on bolt out one at a time and replace with the all thread rod. Then I put 3 hydraulic jacks under the transaxle, one under each axle and one under the front. You can then let each jack down a little and back the nuts off the all thread to gradually let it down. This way it can't fall. It's a little slow but it works well.

  11. #11mbavers2021-07-19 15:07

    That's what I planned to do, except I think my new trans jack (rated 2 1/4 tons) would work. I got two different estimates on the weight of the complete unit (dealer and Broken Tractor); should be 1600 lbs max. I planned on jacking a little forward of the axles, which I'm guessing would be near the balance point. I'm also going to have safety blocking on the way down, in case it's heavier in the front than I figured. If I lower it 8 or 10 inches I should have plenty of room to work on the individual axles. Thanks!

  12. #12mbavers2021-07-29 16:28

    See my new reply under: Case 580 SK brake piston O-Rings