Does anyone else have a transmission fluid leak where the clutch solenoid cut out switch attaches to the power shuttle transmission? I have a 1977 580C Construction King. The machine has the 207 diesel engine, with a power shuttle transmission, and a 4 speed gear box. What is the best way to remove the solenoid? The solenoid and switches all work as they should. There is just so much fluid loss in that area of the power shuttle. Is it possible the fluid could be leaking from somewhere else in that area? Is there a seal or O-ring between the solenoid and power shuttle? Thanks in advance for your help!
There are 2 O rings that must be replaced on the directional spool. This requires removing the dip stick from the shuttle, remove the dipstick then the fitting in the shuttle. cap the hole afterwards.!!!! Remove the solenoid from the spool. Now remove the detent on the dipstick side. Careful don't lose the little spring and ball if the hole for the dipstick is not capped do it now as they will fall into the shuttle if they drop. Now remove the retaining ring from the solenoid side and then pull spool out. Replace the O rings as well as the umbrella seal on the spool #39. Remove the small roll pin to pull plunger out to replace umbrella seal Assemble in reverse order, be sure to index the spool and detent properly. Clean the threads on the spool and solenoid, use a small amount of blue loctite and screw it on. It's not a bad job if you've done it before. If not it can be tricky especially without the tool used to replace the detent cap.
My 480C leaks there also, and like was said it's not the solenoid, but the spool leaking. I looked in the manual for mine, and to pull the spool I have to take all the bolts loose that hold the complete shuttle assembly in place, and turn the shuttle at an angle. There is not enough room between the side frame and the shuttle to pull the spool out. Mine slips a little bit going forward also, so I am slowly getting up the nerve to pull the whole thing out and rebuild it.
Don't know what year Case switched the detent from the left to the right side of the shuttle, but on my 76 the detent ball and spring are on the left behind the shift lever, notice the 3 holes in shift lever.. In my parts/service manual/shuttle the parts may also differ for the spool /valve body, just a heads up..I'm not tech savy enough to post pictures of my manual, but I'm pretty sure Tinkerer probably has them on his NASA hard drive and could probably hook you up...P.S. you can score reprints of parts and service manuals @$100 for the whole set on ebay, sure makes repairs and ordering parts much easier...
Thanks for the information you guys have provided!!! How is the cut out solenoid fastened to the housing of the transmission? I do have a parts manual for the Backhoe, with an issue date of February 1977, which is when my Dad purchased the Backhoe. I have scanned a couple of the pages from the manual concerning the parts needed to repair the leak... I think. Looking at the diagram, it looks like I need item #53, D37156. The manual shows the quantity of O-rings needed as only (1) each. On the website https://www.epsstore.com/index.php/transmission/shuttles/case-shuttles/case-power-shuttle.html The item is #33 and it shows a quantity of (2) 238-5023 O-rings as being needed. gggraham's illustration indicates (2) of the O-rings being needed. I've never did this type of thing, and I am intimidated by there being so many parts. And I do not have the installation tool referenced by gggraham.
Your picture looks like mine. I think I remember taking the wire loose on the solenoid and just spinning it off with a large wrench. Clean your work area well and possibly get a old white bed sheet and lay it out under you. The reason I say this, when you take the solenoid off, it's very easy to drop and lose the little ball #10. Eyeball the width of the shuttle. See if it's possible to pull the spool out to the left like the picture shows, and have enough room to do it before you hit the frame. Mine is too close, but I have the smaller 480. Maybe you have enough room to pull it out. Mine has a steady drip drip from the same place, the reason I was in there also. For now I am just putting a little oil in the shuttle every once in awhile.
Just checked my manual and it was issued 1/78 so your machine is the same as mine..The detent spring and ball are on the l/s of the shuttle.As far as the solenoid.grab a pair of channel locks and twist 'er off..carefully of course so you don't lose the spring and ball behind the shift lever, then ya pull the cap off the right side, remove the spool/valve body, then you replace all the seals/o-rings that you can see...One and done is the way to go...
Just climbed under my machine and removing the control valve may be tight because the lower loader mounts stick into the frame rail..I pulled the shuttle for rebuild when I did mine so I don't know if there's enough room for sure. Maybe someone else who's done it in the machine can chime in....
If I am understanding you correctly, because I will will working on this from the left and right side of the shuttle, it should be a fairly simple process... as long as I don't lose the spring and ball behind the shift lever. While I'm down there I'd like to drop the shuttle pan, and clean the suction screen. R29956GK $15.00 Be the first to review this product Oil Pan Gasket Kit, power shuttle transmission. Fits Case 480C, 580C, 580D, 580E, 580K. Includes Plug, Pump Washers, Solenoid O-Ring & Suction Screen O-Ring.
Posey, provided you have the clearance to remove the control valve it is a fairly easy operation, no special tools needed..Just crawled under my machine again and it looks like if you don't have enough clearance you can remove the two trans. mount bolts and you will have plenty of "wiggle room" to jack up or move your shuttle to the left for removal... You will have to remove the dipstick tube and fitting like gggraham said.. The most important thing to remember is CLEAN,CLEAN, CLEAN... like franklin2 said before you disassemble anything power wash or use air to blow off all the crud all around your work area you don't want any grime introduced into your shuttle ...If you're working in the driveway or in the dirt the sheet on the ground is a good idea as well... something I failed to mention in the original removal post is you also need to remove part # 54 retaining ring ring before you can remove the control valve..Just remember the exact orientation that you remove the control valve from the shuttle,and how all the other parts stack up,all the pictures in the manual look a lot more complicated than they really are, just pay attention to how it comes apart...If you're going to drop the shuttle pan and clean the screen you may want to do that first in case you find stuff in the pan/screen that may indicate other issues that would warrant shuttle removal/rebuild and save you some work..good luck..Stinky