Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SL backhoe

nicholsaj77 ยท 2014-02-20 16:13

Case 580SL backhoe. I am trying to locate the main transmission breather. The owner's manual has a photo showing its location behind the rubber firewall, but I'm not finding it there. Does anyone know where it is located? Also, I am trying to remove one of the cylinders that controls the clamshell bucket. The lower pin at the bottom of the bucket does not want to budge even the slightest. I've tried lots of heat, lots of PB Blaster, and have upgraded from a 2 lb hammer to a sledgehammer with no movement whatsoever. Any other ways to get it out or do I just need more heat? Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1melben2014-02-20 20:06

    The breather is located further back and more easily accessed by removing the floor plate, it is a domed red plastic breather. Mel.

  2. #2Delmer2014-02-20 22:05

    Porta power or hydraulic jack rigged up to push the pin out and pull the "boss" so that it doesn't bind. If you can put a hydraulic jack in the middle (pushing against the other side, not pulling on the outer bushing) then tighten the jack and use the sledgehammer on a section of pipe pushing against the outside of the bushing/ear. Basically you don't want to use a little hammer and peen over the end of the pin so it will never go through that direction, and you don't want to hit the whole thing unsupported and bend the ears out of alignment and make it much harder to move.

  3. #3rickw2014-02-21 16:55

    If I remember correctly it is behind the rubber flap on the top of the tranny. Pull flap up on the right side of the engine where the trans filter is. It should be visible from that point, if you can see the filter you should see the breather.

  4. #4Not You2014-02-22 06:32

    It's an orange plastic breather on the top right side of the transmission. It can be accessed from underneath via the left side of the machine. Not easy, but much easier than taking the floor board out.