Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sl Can’t get straight answer on Hytrans Ultra and Ultraction

splashgtp ยท 2014-02-21 06:53

Have a 580sl series 2 on the 1000 hr mark and need to drop the fluids (my first time). There is hytrans ultra in it now. I have 2 questions that every dealer has a different answer to. 1. Hydraulic system fluid change- I guess you drop the fluid in the tank approx 15 gallons and change filter. However the the total system is approx 33 gallons. Some dealers say just dump in the 15 gallons of Ultraction and it will be good. Others say its not recommended and all 33 gallons should be dropped and replaced with Ultraction. 2. Rear axle- One dealer never heard of the additive (for hytran ultra) for brake chatter. I asked if there was anything like that I had to add to the new Ultraction. He said he didn't know but he'd just put some of the old additive for hytran ultra in it. Others don't know if the additive is compatible with ultraction. Thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1nicholsaj772014-02-21 07:13

    Owner's manual says when changing the hydraulic fluid (mine specifies TCH fluid and not HyTran for the hydraulic fluid in a 1999 Series II), to add 14.4 gallons of TCH fluid when refilling. I assumed the 33 gallon total was for the entire system, meaning every hydraulic line and cylinder when filled with fluid would be 33 gallons. I don't see why you would want to charge every inch of the entire system with fluid. It would seem like nothing would move because there would be no room for the fluid to move. I could be wrong.

  2. #2rickw2014-02-21 07:30

    My super L states TCH. I bought a bucket of TCH. To top off. I need to change my fluid but could not get a good answer for fluid use. Just put TCH back in? I figured it was better to do nothing yet than to put the wrong stuff in.

  3. #3inthedirt2014-02-21 07:30

    Hytran ultraction is an updated version of ultra. It has higher shear properties in the oil. Ultra and ultraction will mix with no problems. As for the rear axle additive, I haven't heard any news about not using it with ultraction. Since the two oils are compatible with each other, I would see no reason why the additive couldn't be used as before.

  4. #4rickw2014-02-21 07:32

    What about ultratraction to TCH?

  5. #5nicholsaj772014-02-21 07:38

    If it specifies TCH, I use TCH and would not deviate. If it specifies whatever generation of HyTran, I would use HyTran. I don't know the difference between the two, but anyone who says you can use them interchangeably won't be paying to repair any potential problems that may occur.

  6. #6melben2014-02-23 08:30

    Look at the maintanance chart on the side of the tractor. In most every application HTU has been recommended instead of TCH. THe crawler transmissions as used in the 450-550, the clutch type crawler transmissions are still rated for TCH. I have worked for a Case dealer for 52 years and have access to the oil charts. HTU has been used in the hyd tanks for years, it is a more reddish oil and TCH is a very clear oil. OEM oil will also have a greenish tinge which I believe is a leak detector additive. Off brands can destroy V cups and create leaks It seems a good oil discussion brings on a real debate. TCH is a fine oil and has served well but is being phased out, we sell very little TCH and sell HTU by the barrels. Mel

  7. #7splashgtp2014-02-23 18:38

    I think the hytran ultra smells a lot better than the new ultraction. Bulk ultraction here is $12.50 per gal with a minimum 30 gallon purchase and you must have your own barrel. The 5 gallon pails are $79 and currently $10 off.