Hello, Have a 2000 580sl Series 2 with 6,985 hours and been wondering about the hydraulic light. With the temps below freezing the light stays on for a while, until using the hydraulics for say 15 minutes. During this time the light will go off when using any hydraulics but comes on when you let up. RPM's must be over about 1500 to get the light. I let her warm up till its blowing hot air before I get in and baby the hydraulics at 2000 rpms till light goes out. Has Hy-trans ultra in it and put a new filter on when I bought it about 400 hours ago this spring. Is this normal, anything I should be doing different or be concerned about? The operators manual only says that if the light is on when fluid is warm, to replace filter. It doesn't state if the light could be on other times. My alarm and a few other safety features appear to have been disabled or broke by previous owner. Thanks
Likely the filter blockage switch that is lighting it. Are you sure the oil is rated for the temps we are having? I would change the filter again with that many hours on it and see if that helps.
I always get grief for saying this but all filters are not created equal, I have worked for a Case dealer for 52 yrs in June and have seen many instances where off brand filters have more backpressure than the ones designed for the manufacturer. I would get a stock flter for the make and model or the Fleetgard equivalent, BTW, We were at onetime a JD lawn anfd garden dealer which opened JD's parts system to us, we have used Deere filters sucessfully on Case hoes. I could be wrong on this but it seems to me that in cold weather that light could do as you described for 15-20 minutes.
What you are describing sounds very normal to me based on my experience. My Case backhoe has always done the same thing with Case filters and Case oil. The light you are describing is a hydraulic filter restriction indicator. Cold oil, equals thicker oil, equals the same thing as a filter restriction. As you reference the manual, the manual should also state things like don’t operate at higher speeds until engine is warmed, etc. The statement to replace the filter would typically only apply if the oil is warmed up in normal operating range. From your description, the light/warning seems to be is doing what it is supposed to do. Basically don’t rush operation of the hydraulics with very cold oil that I assume you have this type of year based on your location in NE Wisconsin.
Thanks for all the input! I've been running all case brand filters and oils. This spring I'll replace all oil and filters (1000 hr mark), as I don't have a heated shop it can fit in and don't plan on using it much. The light just concerned me, as my neighbors New Holland skidsteer I use only gets a filter light for the first 5 seconds after start up. I know they are 2 different animals but prefer to fix problems before something breaks. Thanks again
Our 1990 580K does the same thing, until oil is warmed up. Just got to work hydraulics slowly at first. We put Hytran SSL in our 2008SM, huge difference on quick warm up time. The down side is that its almost $200/ pail here (just under 5 gallons) but it is our main machine, so worth it.
The hydraulic oil goes threw the filter be for it returns to tank. At the filter housing is the sender unit for the filter. When the oil is cold it can't go threw the filter as the oil is a little heavy, so it will blow the sender and bypass the filter. The bypass is set for 45psi, as the oil warms up the bypass closes as the oil is now going threw the filter.