Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580sl master cylinder question

Aussiemac · 2024-07-19 23:25

I’m having problems with lack of brakes in a 580sle and am starting with the simple things before I go to the axle removal. I removed and stripped down the master cylinders hoping it was them but they look perfect. However when I was reassembling them I noticed the flow valve and seat (3 & 4 in pic) are in mine the opposite orientation to what the manual shows. I believe these have not been touched from factory due to family history. I’m wondering if this could be some of the problem although it used to brake fine.

Replies2
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-07-20 08:28

    Ifn the brakes functioned OK with the master cylinders the way they were, don't alter them now. The brakes are most likely worn out.

  2. #2Aussiemac2024-07-20 08:40

    That was my thought exactly mate. Gulp, here comes another learning curve…. And a hefty price I’m led to believe!