Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SL PS oil type

Aussiemac · 2023-05-13 18:07

Hi. I’m doing an oil change on a friend’s backhoe. It is a case 580sle powershift model. The manual says the transmission is to run Elfmatic G3 oil? I’ve never heard of it and google doesn’t give me an answer either. I understand it’s an old manual, 90’s era. The standard shuttle shifts use hy-trans. Not sure what to use instead of Elfmatic? Maybe a UTTO? Thanks for any help.

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-05-13 20:41

    I don't know what book you have, but the Case service manual specifies Hy-Tran Plus in 580SL transmissions. Hard to find now because CNH offers newer versions of it. Elfmatic G3 is ATF by different name.

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-05-13 20:51

    I don't know what book you have, but the Case service manual specifies Hy-Tran Plus in 580SL transmissions. Hard to find now because CNH offers newer versions of it. Elfmatic G3 is ATF by different name. I Googled it.

  3. #3Aussiemac2023-05-13 22:36

    Thanks Tinkerer. Maybe so but still reluctant to put it in as it is a powershift. Not sure, I know if I go to a dealer they will want me to use oem lubes, but for the condition and amount of use the old machine gets we were hoping for an aftermarket answer. 21L is a lot of ATF!

  4. #4alrman2023-05-14 05:26

    The 580LPS definitely uses type 3 ATF. You'll find you only need 15 to 16 litres for an oil & filter change.

  5. #5Tinkerer2023-05-14 09:44

    Just be sure to remember that the transmission requires Hy-Trans or its equivalent. The PS gear box requires ATF. Sadly, even non OEM ATF is expensive. $100.00 for 5 gallons in my area.

  6. #6Aussiemac2023-05-14 14:29

    Thank you! Glad I double checked. I will try and get a drum of ATF. I may as well compare the genuine oil price too.