Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580SL series 2 power shift

rondejack · 2016-03-14 17:54

I was traveling over road 5mph and trans went into neutral, the computer display started flashing C P the F was flashing also.I noticed the volt guage was also pulsing down 1/4 inch at same rate the display was flashing .I pressed the M button for few seconds and just went to 8 8 ,and when released went right back to the original display . unhooked battery for 10 minutes ,didn't change a thing .I had changed the speed sensor last year through info from this forum and has worked fine until yesterday .wondering if a relay or short could be the problem ,called CASE they have no code for C P that they know of .. thanks rondejack

Replies14
  1. #1GaryHoff2016-03-14 20:43

    Maybe what you read was GP not CP. I didn't see a CP fault listed either. I would check for faults again, by holding the mode button for more than 10 seconds. It will list active fault

  2. #2GaryHoff2016-03-14 20:59

    See attached pictures

  3. #3FairviewFarmPhil2019-06-27 16:41

    New member after finding this thread: Thanks for uploading the codes @ garyhoff I was wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction with a fault code I’m getting: I’m getting ‘do’ and ‘oc’ which I understand ‘oc’ is open connection or open circuit. Where should I start looking. Relay? Look further for a short / rat chewed wire.

  4. #4alrman2019-06-28 19:18

    @FairviewFarmPhil Can you tell us what is the transmission doing / not doing? Unfortunately, as with most fault codes, you don't get very specific help. Without knowing your symptoms, I can't be specific. But relays & wiring harnesses are definitely a problem area, especially as these machines are getting older.

  5. #5FairviewFarmPhil2019-06-28 22:54

    So works ‘fine’ (forward and backward) when cold. When warm it wasn’t going into gear and when the clutch button on the loader control it would go into reverse from any gear position. I’ve topped up trans when running (was low a few L). I’ve cleaned all eletrical connections in cab (trans computer and shifter) and fuses / relays. It appears to be better but now having issues going into reverse when warm. It takes about 10 to 20 seconds to engage with the ‘t’ light flashing.

  6. #6FairviewFarmPhil2019-06-28 22:57

    Forgot to mention it’s been sitting at a property a 3 yrs in a shed and not much if any use. I’ve checked earth connections and alternator output.

  7. #7alrman2019-06-29 02:56

    @FairviewFarmPhil I would assume the 't' light stops flashing once reverse is engaged? Is the back up alarm still connected? If so, does it sound when you first select reverse or only once drive is engaged? The fact that the 't' light is flashing would indicate an electrical issue. If it drives 'normally' when cold, & plays up once warm, I would be testing coil resistance, & you would have to do that at cold & compare once warm. Do you have a service manual to assist with the wiring layout?

  8. #8FairviewFarmPhil2019-06-29 07:13

    Thanks for your thoughts @ alrman The alarm on the handbrake sounds as soon as you put in F or R so I assume it’s not the shift leaver. It’s got me thinking why it goes into reverse just fine when you push the clutch button even when in neutral on the shifter. It also jumps into reverse for a second when going back from the not working R position to N. Drained the trans oil and changed the filter - no issues with bits in filter or bad looking oil. No change in issue after oil change.

  9. #9laycobeau2019-07-01 09:42

    Flashing T is a electronic fault short or open on one of the outputs. which APC unit is it APC72 etc. If you hold the M down on power up it will run test on inputs and outputs. But need to know which unit it is and I will post it.

  10. #10FairviewFarmPhil2019-07-06 16:29

    Thanks heaps for responding. From this website below I understand I have the APC 71-12 (it looks the same as one in picture on right) http://www.griffithstraders.com.au/...xles_23-36/egs-controller-all-models_412.html Looking forward to your reply.

  11. #11FairviewFarmPhil2019-07-08 07:01

    Pulled the controller to confirm... it’s a APC 71-12 listed on controller.

  12. #12Vetech632019-07-08 07:28

    Check all your wiring. If its been sitting that long I would bet rats have made dinners out of a few wires.

  13. #13alrman2022-12-29 21:52

    This is an old thread that I thought I might update. FairviewFarmPhil ended up contacting me personally on this. He was located about 3-4hrs drive from me, so I talked him through alot of testing procedures. I was shy about travelling to him as the problem seemed quite illusive & I wasn't confident I could 'fix' the 580SLE without maybe swapping the FNR lever & the transmission control unit - which I couldn't easily do....... Fast forward a few months, I got a call from a guy who wanted to buy a 580LE shuttleshift that had a transmission hesitation problem & wanted to know what could be the problem. He took the punt on the machine & buys it - sight unseen - It was Phil's powershift 580SLE! Anyway, the machine was back locally & I now had easier access to it with testing etc. I spent a few hours checking & rechecking all circuits/relays etc. All things were pointing to the transmission ECU & CNH no longer sell them (last ones available were $5000AU!!!) I pulled an ECU from another customers machine & nervously swapped them to confirm my thoughts & everything worked perfectly. There is a parts company here in Australia that say they can repair these - so I sent it to them & it came back a week later in perfect working order. This company uses/subcontracts the skills of a retired electrical/electronics guru who reverse engineered the ECU & has even set up a 'test bench' to cycle & test each function. Apparently, some capacitors leak & damage the circuit board - the guru replaces the capacitors & cleans & reseals the circuit board & carries out all the tests to ensure it's OK. Absolute genius! I hope this retiree is training someone younger to carry on this repair business - because without it there will be a few 580SL/SM/SR letter (mail) boxes sitting in peoples front yards soon!

  14. #14Tinkerer2022-12-30 08:57

    That is a fascinating story, alrman ! Thanks for posting it. It got me to wondering if there is anyone else repairing those ECM's. A quick search shows a company that is partnered with CNH and is offering the service. https://www.titansystems.com/services/ecm-board-repair/