Howdy. I have a Case 580sm backhoe here in the shop. It has the Cummins engine. Original problem was the turbo went due to low oil pressure. I pulled the oil pump and it was all scarred up so i dropped the oil pan. And here this engine has a fancy balancer bolted to the crankshafts bearing caps. I has a gear that runs off the crankshaft gear and drives two shafts with weights on it. The bolts that held that gear in place broken and went through the gears and caused all kinds of shrapnel, which took out the pump. There isnt much info or availability on those gears or a whole balancer. so I swapped the long balancer bolts out for regular bearing cap bolts and put the thing back together without the balancer, like the older case 580sl Cummins engine. Definitely vibrates more than it used to in low rpms. I have just started it and revd it out a few times. What do you guys think…anybody ever eliminate This balancer before? Can i run it like this or is there gonna be a bad problem latter on. Here is a picture of the balancer. Let me know what you think. Older ones didnt have this balancer on. I never really even saw one of these things before…I just dont want the vibrations to crack the crank or a connecting rod or something.
If it was there from new, it likely for a reason. I would be looking for a new one. Part number subs from J963388 to J912538 or change the J to a 3 for Cummins part number. Broken Tractor list one at $1120
Very unlikely you will get away for very long and way bigger problems. Did you look at the main and rod bearings to see if shrapnel went through them. Pay now or pay more later is how I see it. Simon C
I changed all bearings
It was shrapnel alright
I saw that one on Broken Tractor ….it just seems like they are terribly scarce. No parts at case available. I thought mabey everyone else must be eliminating them.
Do an internet search for --->Cummins Killer dowel pin. It may or may not be what happened to you motor.
That is a good point. ….could have easy been that
Bad idea to remove the balancer. Even tho it may seem to vibrate less at high RPM's, it is still vibrating, but at high frequency that is less noticeable.