It was first noticed when tramming dirt when I climbed a hill it almost wouldn’t make it up. But you could use the hydraulics and not notice. Now when using the backhoe it bogs so bad its like it almost kills it. Checked fuel filter, lift pump, air filter, turbo, no exhaust or air intake restrictions. Any ideas?
How are the hydraulic filters , oil, and pick-up screen ?
Does the engine bog down badly? You indicated that it did it both traveling on the road and digging so I am not leaning toward a hydraulic problem. Could you give us both hydraulic stall rpm and drive stall rpm. Wide open throttle, 4th gear forward shuttle Hold brakes and full throttle, read rpms also wide open no load rpms, hydraulic stall, wide open hold a backhoe cylinder full stroke and read rpm, write rpm figures down and post them, also note the exhaust smoke with the engine under stall load, These things will give us a starting point.
Trans. Filter is new as well as oil. Hydraulic I’m not sure. But will check
Soon as I get the turbo back on.
You have the turbo off, check the shaft for play, was it leaking oil? why do you have it off? A bad turbo would be a reason for drastic loss of power. I did not mention that before as it is seldom an issue.
A buddy of mine told me to check it. But it looked good. No shaft play. Everything spun freely, minimal oil on boost side.
Ran the machine a bit here is what I have. Full rpm 2275 hard dig using 3 functions at a time 1500 rpm quite a lot of smoke. 2nd gear climbing an incline no extra weight 1700 rpm same smoke. Lift both riggers at same time 1700 rpm same smoke.
I was able to run the machine a bit and test a few things out
Sounds like it could be an injector to me. I had to replace one on my 590 SN. No power, smoked. Had some water issues in the fuel and I think that was what took it out. Drained the filters but it was too late. I was told that these injectors at least on the N's couldn't take a lot water.
A long time ago, I worked and supported a Cat D8?. Cannot say what model, but flat tracked and 3306 I think. The fuel cap had cast into it this nugget of truth- "Buy clean fuel Keep it clean"
What color is the smoke? You still need to run stall tests that were mentioned in an earlier post.
Your stall speeds are way low, Hydraulic and trans stall should both be /lwell above 2000, in fact I believe a combined stall would be close to 1700, It has been some time since I retired but I'm sure Coy can elaborate on your stall figures. In addition to what others have said I would like to add check the valve lash settings and the push rods to make sure they are in place