Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590 Turbo Shuttle Problem

Mikey7579 · 2018-05-01 20:52

I have a 1992 590 Turbo. The forward/reverse shuttle started with a short delay (about 5 seconds) before going into gear and progressively got worse over a period of a week. As it got worse, I had to rev the engine to get it to pop into gear (forward or reverse). Now it will not go into either gear. All other hydraulics are working fine. Linkage is fine and plunger is working in the control valve. I suspected the control valve and started checking the electronics. The solenoid valve on the control valve is not getting power when I shift from forward to reverse. Also, the fuse is fine. As a side note, my backup warning horn was working when the problem started and now it is not. I suspect there is a broken wire between the fuse block and the solenoid valve. I'm wondering if I can run 2 wires directly from the fuse block (12 volts) into the solenoid valve wires to check if the solenoid valve is OK. Is the solenoid valve 12V and will it damage it if i get the wires crossed? I attached a schematic of the control valve. The solenoid valve is number 25.

Replies9
  1. #1Finca SDR2018-05-01 21:12

    Hola. I dunno much about this stuff, less on a case, but broken wire probably wouldn't have started off slow and progressed to worse. But I could definitely be wrong. Dirty control valve has done that type of stuff to me before but that was a symptom not the problem cuz there was some other stuff grinding itself up and the filings clogged the valve. Would clean it and strain the oil and it'd happen again in a couple days, until I had to rebuild the reverser. Uhhh... dirty oil screen? When this happened to me a couple months ago it was a failing torque converter. That sucked. Good luck, hope you fix it soon.

  2. #2alrman2018-05-01 22:48

    @Mikey7579 That solenoid at the control valve is for the transmission cut-out. It will only have power when you press one of the neutralizing buttons on the gearshift or loader control lever. The back up alarm should be controlled by a pressure switch, mounted to the transmission control valve, usually on a 90deg elbow. - make sure you have not bumped a wire off it. If you have no pressure - it won't work. Re the problem with hesitation - that is usually related to pressure. The transmission pressure is not related to the machine hydraulics. Be sure the oil is filled to level. Does the transaxle leak any oil when the machine is parked? The transmission pump can suck air from such a leak & cause delays. Be sure all hose clamps on the suction pipe are tight. I have seen the steel pipe on the suction wear through when things are rubbing on them - take a good look at it. If these things are all OK, you may need to inspect the charge pump, as it would most likely be the problem.

  3. #3Mikey75792018-05-08 12:57

    Where is the charge pump? I thought the torque converter increases pressure to move the fluid? Also, when the unit is cold, it shuttles better and runs better. The hotter the fluid gets, the worse the problem get. Reverse is better than forward. The transaxle fluid is dark (almost black). Should I change that? Does the quality of the fluid affect the performance?

  4. #4Finca SDR2018-05-08 18:06

    Charge pump is in the reverser and the teeth on the torque converter neck notch into it and turn it, at least on a 97 Deere. The hot/cold behaviour means you ou probably have an internal leak of some type or another in the reverser. It could be the charge pump, or the torque converter but when I had symptoms exactly like yours I had some scratches cut by spinning pieces that were crooked inside and let oil squirt around. Perhaps it's just an o ring? Regardless, the pain in the butt was disassembling and diagnosing. Good luck

  5. #5Finca SDR2018-05-08 18:10

    But remember to check the screen in the reverser pan too, you might get lucky and that's all it is, dirty oil and screen, cuz that'll keep it from building pressure properly

  6. #6580bob2018-05-08 19:08

    nope finca is wrong charge pump is in converter housing better take pressure readings those are transaxles and can run into huge bills when they need repair $10,000.00 plus not uncommon hold onto your hat when one part starts to go everything gets contaminated shuttle, 4 speed , rear axle, brakes, etc good luck

  7. #7Finca SDR2018-05-08 19:34

    Okay, sorry, I did say "at least on a 97 Deere". But 580 Bob is correct, something starts spinning loose, then bouncing crooked grinding up everything around it, then shards are loose grinding up or clogging other parts.

  8. #8alrman2018-05-09 03:20

    Like @580bob says, the charge pump (#12) is in the convertor housing on the rear of the engine. Transmission oil should always be translucent - never black...... While the oil is out, remove the suction screen (#13 & #15) in the transaxle & look inside.

  9. #9Kedric18722025-12-05 21:44

    I have a 93 that literally just did the same thing. Everything was working fine. Parked the machine and went the next day to use it and doesn’t go into forward or reverse. Where you able to figure out the problem?