I just got a 1999 case 590 SL (Series 2) backhoe. I started almost 35 years ago with a Case 580C, which I still have along with another 580c I acquired 6 or 7 years ago. I like Case so when I decided I needed something a little bigger for use here on the farm the 590 looked right. It's 4WD which the 580s are not. Anyway the one I bought has relatively low hours compared to what I've seen out there for other 20 plus yrs old. It seems mechanically sound. I've put it to work for the last couple of days and so far so good. The price I thought was reasonable but there is one big issue. Some serious rust. It was purchased new by a town nearby and used by the road department for loading salt trucks and who knows what else. Of course wherever the salt touched there is some serious rust. You step up on the fuel tank to get into the machine and there are pitted spots that have pin holes rusted right through. I believe I can repair those. The bottom of the door frames are rusted out and the floor panels right at the doorways where salt got tracked into the cab are in bad shape. I knew what it was when I bought it. The Hood top panel is just barely hanging on and both the left and right engine side panels are gone. I've been searching salvage yards for replacements. But no luck. According to my local Case dealer the 590 SL is a longer frame and hence a longer hood than the most of the 580 supers and 590s so I'm not finding anything out there. Does anyone have any leads on the correct hood and side panels? The part number for the hood is 139486A2, left side 195976A2 and right side 195975A2. I searched online and have contacted at least 16 salvage yards from Florida to Canada to Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to California. In the meantime I'm painting on coats of rust converter and once I've got the rust controlled I will prime and paint. Any help finding a hood and side panels would be greatly appreciated.
There may be a few different designs(like side vents), but I think your dealer is incorrect about yours being longer. 139486A1 HOOD Case parts 590SL, 570LXT, 580L, 590L, 580SL
Have you contacted Hagen Tractor ? There website shows some sheet metal parts for 590's. A phone call may get you some valuable information on what models those sheet metal parts fit. http://www.hagantractorparts.com/sheetmetal.html
I did call Hagan. They said they would look, but I never heard back from them . I'll try calling again.
Doghead, I misspoke. The parts don't cross reference for 580 and 590 m and n.