Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590SM A/C and Fan Not Working

B Sampson · 2020-06-26 08:53

Hey guys, I am a new first time owner of a Case back hoe, the fan does not turn on when I turn the knob so of course the AC doesn’t work either. Any suggestions as to where to start trouble shooting to get the fan and AC working????

Replies11
  1. #1melben2020-06-26 09:34

    Since you have no speeds on the fan I would of course check fuses first then check for voltage at the back of the switch. If you get the fan circuit fixed and get not AC and have a amber AC fault light you will need the AC serviced.

  2. #2B Sampson2020-06-26 12:17

    The back hoe is a 2003, 590 Super M. It is supposed to have AC so I would really like to get it working correctly. Any insight at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

  3. #3B Sampson2020-06-26 12:21

    I guess so I can find/locate everything on this machine I will need to invest in a repair manual. Could anyone confirm that 6-41490 is the correct case part # for the manual I need to buy????

  4. #4B Sampson2020-06-26 12:23

    Thank you for your reply Melben. The fuse box will definitely be my first thing to check.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-06-26 13:19

    Welcome to HEF, B Sampson ! There are three different versions (series) of the 580SM. You need to determine which one you have before buying the service manual.

  6. #6B Sampson2020-06-29 10:23

    It’s actually a 590 Super M as stated above, just to clarify. And I believe it’s a Series 1 as it does not say Series II on the serial # plate. Is there any other tell tale ways to make sure which series the machine actually is????? I am learning as I go here and want thank you guys for taking time to answer my novice questions.

  7. #7wldhoss2020-07-04 09:29

    I lost power to the fan on my 580 SN. To find the problem, I removed the ceiling headliner. Checked for power at the fan. Found the ground wire was interrupted. Added a new ground wire. All has been good.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2020-07-05 19:44

    Remove the blower switch and check it Case had some that would get hot and melt terminals.

  9. #9B Sampson2020-07-12 21:23

    I looked at the back of the switch and all 5 wires that should go to the switch are cut, definitely on purpose for some reason. I have a new switch ordered and will try and install it this week.

  10. #10B Sampson2020-07-13 08:29

    Can anyone guide me to make sure I get each wire to the correct terminal? There are 5 wires and I plan to splice on a short 6” jumper to the cut off wires. But only one is red and the other 4 are white and look very similar to each other.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2020-07-13 10:30

    The red is power of course. I’m thinking the others should be numbered and control fan speeds. You could do trial and error for correct positions. Your speeds are controlled by resistor attached to fan housing.