Hi there - just received new alternator and pulley. This pulley does not require a "sleeve wedge" like my old one. I'm just wondering how I tighten the nut onto the shaft properly. If i turn the nut with a socket wrench, the shaft also turns so i can only get it so tight. I suspect i would have to put quite a pressure in order to tighten properly and just wondering if there is a special tool. The shaft has the ability to turn it with an Allen (hex) key but obviously when the socket is over the nut you don't have access to the hex portion of the shaft
put the fan on the shaft put the pully on the shaft give the pully a whack with a hammer handle if you have an impact wrench zap it
Thanks Pete - the pulley doesn't have a tapered sleeve - it fits easily onto the shaft - just wondering what whacking it will do as it won't go down the shaft any further. I'm also wondering how i would ever remove the nut as when you turn the nut it would turn the shaft as well. I feel like i'm missing something.....
i think i answered my own question after googling. Looks like I need a pass thru socket set and an Allen key - that makes sense
If you want to use the Allen wrench slot, just use a wrench instead of a socket. Or, just put on a glove or wrap a rag around the pulley and tighten it with an impact wrench. You're overthinking this big time.
depends on the alternator but some alternators are very sensitive to the nut torque and a impact wrench should not be used. on some of the old niehoff alternators there was a small snap ring on the rotor shaft that could shear and then the alternator had to be completely disassembled to repair. if using an impact wrench, do not overdo it
Put a rag around the pulley and use channel locks to hold it. Then use a socket to tighten the nut.
okay - thanks guys for the input - much appreciated
Can you not use a ring spanner?
Guess I'm spoiled as I thought these things were common but took some searching to find a good picture. Seems most places refer to them as toques adapters: Just note that you would need to adjust the torque setting to account for the extra length of the tool offset between the part that goes on the nut and the center point of the drive hole!
But in reality I would just use a box-end wrench or as some call then "ring spanners" and use what I was told was German torque, "Guten-tight" at least that's what my boss George Rackmyer told me it meant!
Not sure a box wrench(ring spanner) will fit. The nut is recessed. Don't over think this. Torque on this item is not critical. I worked with a guy who used to tell the new guys when they asked what the torque spec was for something, "Tighten it until it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn". They would say "How to I back off if it is broken?". He would then say "Exactly my point, go look it up and stop being lazy".
From the service manual --> OOOPS ! This is for the alternator with the tapered bushing.
I've probably done thousands of alternators and never seen anything but and impact wrench and a hand on the pulley used including at the rebuild shops right or wrong thats how its done any other way to hold the pulley would increase chance of damage in my opinion
Jonas, X2!!