Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590t dipper cylinder

chrisdvorak ยท 2017-02-12 14:33

I have to pack a 94 case 590t dipper cylinder tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone can tell me what size the piston bolt head is? the exploded view in parts shows it's 1 1/2 thick, so would that be 2 1/4 head? Just trying to make sure I have the right socket before I get into it. Ps I think it's the same for the boom cyl as well - thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2017-02-13 07:36

    590 t ?? Is it a 590 with a turbocharger ? I don't think there was a t series. Yes it should be 2 1/4".

  2. #2franklin22017-02-13 10:54

    Be prepared for a struggle, those things are tight. I have done 3 so far on my 480c. What I have to do is squeeze the rod end in my vise on my bench, and support the far end with a trasmission jack I have. I then had to go to harbor freight and buy a 3/4 socket set, and I still have to use a 6ft cheater bar on the 3/4 breaker bar to break them loose. On the swing cylinder they have a hole drilled in the bolt with a pin sticking out, it looks like some sort of hydraulic cushion. Whatever it is, it ruins the ability to use a socket and I do not have a wrench big enough to fit. So I have to use my big pipe wrench on that one. I still have to use the 6ft breaker bar to get it loose.

  3. #3alrman2017-02-13 19:14

    @Tinkerer The 'T' does actually exist in Europe & Australia.... These are the sideshift version of the US 'N' model ..... just to add to the worldwide confusion. @chrisdvorak I can't recall the exact size - my money is on 2 1/4" also. (99%)

  4. #4Tinkerer2017-02-13 19:53

    I had seen JCB's on jobs around here with sideshifts before I retired. I didn't care for the outrigger (stabilizer) design but that sideshift sure would be useful.

  5. #5rickw2017-02-15 07:08

    To secure the rod, I have disassembled the cylinder then put the rod back in the machine and slid the pin in. Put a block of wood under the rod to hold it up the put socket on nut. That seems to be the best way to secure the rod to be able to put enough torque on it w/ a long bar. I dont have a impact near big enough to do it on the ground

  6. #6chrisdvorak2017-02-15 16:20

    got it apart but it was one of the tightest cylinders ive had to breakdown in awhile. I heated up the bolt then tried the 1'' bar on it with a cheater-- no go heated again and this time used a 680k for the power --- bent the 1'' bar and still no go take 3- heat, put a 4' pipe wrench on the socket and with the entire weight of the boom on the pipe wrench it finally came loose didn't help that it started pouring half way through this endeavor! seems like a 5 '' cylinder is a little overkill for the size of the machine?

  7. #7alrman2017-02-15 19:58

    Yep, they can be quite stubborn Glad you finally had the upper hand.