It's time for me to ask the experts on what I should do with my dead loader. Engine seized on my 621B XT wheel loader. It's a 6 cyl CHN 590 rated at 138 HP with a VE injection pump I have a rebuilt 1993 Cummins 5.9 with HP rated at 160 HP. My thoughts are to use the 1993 Cummins engine long block and use all of the hardware off of the blown engine. A few questions; Will the additional HP make any difference? Should I use the injection pump off the loader or use the one that's with the 1993 engine? Any unforeseen issues I should be aware of ? Please chime in .......
I am always shy about extra horsepower, however, 22HP is not a huge difference. Not sure on if your injector pumps are both VE pumps? If they are different & you did swap the original pump to the new engine, there may be different timing marks on the timing gear to think about. I would also swap the injectors if they weren't the same - but, there also maybe an issue with nozzle size difference between the two engines 7MM & 9MM. Later model 7mm can go into the older model 9mm using adapters - but you can't go the other way without drilling the holes - not something you would attempt without removing the head & using a machine shop to do. Also, if you swap the pumps, you will save time by not having to re-configure the throttle linkages.
As far as i know they are same. I would swap pumps. Just so your fueling is correct and governed at correct rpms. Pretty straight forward job if engines are out. Only issues i can see is i would check the fuel shut off solenoids and other senders the loader should be 24 volts and the truck engine should have 12 volt rated
IF u ALREADY HAVE a rebuilt 160HP.. drop it in.. IF the dimensions are the same.? & same "type" of inj. pump.. Ve/rotory.. A/inline.. P/inline Its always nice to have the extra HP & NOT NEED IT, than the other way around.. U can always adjust the throttle/linkage to NOT GO to full.. and/or I can tell u/walk u thru, how to turn it down.. Its a very easy process.. Do u KNOW WHAT caused the seizure?? IF the data tags are still on the engine?? compare the 2 for Full Load RPM.. & I can help adjust.
OEM engine fail was lack of oil and overheated. Things look good. I'll work on this in the spring. Right now the snow is an issue even getting to the unit. Thanks for the inofo Paul
If you have the original engine out why not have it rebuilt while you are down for the winter and reinstall? As far as the two engines they are the same except for the fuel system and timing. The dodge engine is a Cummins branded engine and the Case engine is of course a Case branded engine. Check your injector numbers and injection pump numbers also.
Are most Case engines Cummins? I have a W18 with the A401BD that is sized. What is the best way to swap it out? I don't know what happened to it yet but it is locked up tight.
The 401 engine was straight up Case. The CDC engines that replaced them was a joint venture between Case and Cummins. The 3.9 four cyl. and the 5.9 six cyl. are parent metal bore blocks with no sleeves. The 8.3 engine is a wet sleeved engine. Now there used to be some power up kits for the old machines to replace the Case engines with the CDC engines. I'm sure someone on here can come up with a link to someone that has done it or have a way to do a swap out. Your engine can be rebuilt fairly easy you can check with Con Equipment up near Buffalo NY, or Broken Tractor.