I need to replace the starter on my case 621D with a 5.9 cummins. The replacement starter from case is listed as 24 volt and sells for $400 on ebay. This machine only has one 12 volt battery and has been operating that way since i bought it 4 years ago. Is it really supposed to be a 24 volt machine? I have lots of cummins engines in different equipment and usually just replace the starters with $100 starters off ebay. Thanks for any help
I'm fairly sure that you have another 12V battery on the opposite side of the machine connected in series with the one you found. At least that's how I remember it on the 721D.
Oh Crap! you are right. Thanks for that. I didnt see another set of cables and figured it was the only one. Thanks!
U can usually get 1 rebuilt A LOT cheaper if done locally..
The old rebuild it vs order a new one debate. If you know of a place that will do it locally, and you have an OEM starter, then there's no way I'd send off your good one as a core to get cheap china ****. Easy way to tell if you have a 12 or 24V system, look at the tag on the starter and alternator, they'll usually say the voltage.
Most of the time when those starters go out on these machines they are junk. You can have your local starter shop order on and save money usually. But check prices just to be sure.