Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 650K compares to Cat D?

JS300 ยท 2016-01-04 15:03

I'm looking at a Case 650K wt dozer and was wondering what size this model would compare to in a Caterpillar. It seems everyone goes by Cat sizes when talking about dozers. Going by the specs it looks like the Case has less hp than a D4 but wieghs a little more. the people I talk to say I need a D4 or D5 to clear a place I bought. The smallest dozer I've had out is a Case 850G and it seemed to be plenty big for what I am doing but I know that had a lot to do with the operator. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1weeder572016-01-05 00:43

    D4 size. 850 would be d5 size. 550 is d3 modern size. Old d3 and old 450 is almost the same for production, but the cat is slower and heavier with more power, while the case is lighter, more balanced, faster, and 2/3 the power for the same work.

  2. #2JS3002016-01-05 06:36

    Thanks. I think the 650 will be about right for what I need and I should be able to get my money back on the resale. I have been using a Case 450 skid steer to clear with. It's is the same year and has the same engine as the dozer. Comparing equipment specs gets a little confusing sometimes. I was looking at an old D3b but think this 650k would work circles around it. The dozer I'm looking at is a '07 model but only has 600 hrs on it and I know the 2 previous owners.

  3. #3LT-x72016-01-05 18:17

    IMO anyone that sizes dozers as D4 D5 ext is not very knowledgeable when it comes to dozers. For example compare a D6k with a D6R, both D6's but ones 125 hp 30k pounds and the other 185hp with 45k pounds. So when someone just says D6 size that doesn't really tell you much of anything. A D4H has more power and weight than an early model D6. If your purchasing a dozer strictly to clear your land I would want something larger than a case 650k. I also wouldn't want something extra nice, clearing land can be hard on equipment.

  4. #4JS3002016-01-05 18:36

    I agree on equipment comparison, it seems most people don't look at the specs just the size or ### of the equipment. The land I'm clearing is full of locust biggest tree I would push up would be a 4-5" locust. I have been pulling them roots and all with an 80 hp skid steer so I figure the 650 will work for me. I do all of my own repairs and maintenance so hate to get something to big to work on or haul with a pick-up.

  5. #5LT-x72016-01-05 23:05

    I think most people around here including myself would tell you the 650k is too big to put behind a pickup. Unless maybe your pickup is a 5500 Ram...

  6. #6JS3002016-01-06 06:43

    I have a Dodge 3500 C&C and a Dodge 2500, both are diesel. I wouldn't pull it with the 2500 but the 3500 will handle it. I'm not talking about pulling it all over the country but should be ok on the county roads around here. We pretty much live in BFE. I hauled 8 rolls of hay and my skid home yesterday and while it was a load still stopped quick enough. Is the 650k to D4G a fair comparison?

  7. #7LT-x72016-01-06 15:58

    I would say so.... Good luck with that beast behind your pickup.

  8. #8JS3002016-01-06 16:37

    I'm not here to start a who or what can or should haul what or how much war. I know the dozer wieghs close to 20k. My trailer is rated to tow 24k. I think the latest model pickups are rated to tow 25-30k. My C&C handles loads much better than my 2500 even though it has close 100 less hp. I always figure how much weight I am towing. Believe me I see people hauling overloaded every day, mostly weekend warroirs in thier 1/2 ton with no trailer brakes. All I ask for was a fair dozer comparison. Thanks